Gino Rossi RR45 -removing lower burr carrier help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zombiecoffee

#1: Post by zombiecoffee »

I just got this Gino Rossi as part of a craigslist package deal. ($350 for Astra Mega II and a "coffee grinder")
I am taking it apart and cleaning all the smeg off. Based on how bad everything was gummed up, I really want to take the lower carrier off before I run some grindz tablets in there. I looked through the forums for help removing the lower carrier but nothing seemed applicable. Obviously it spins when I turn the spindle nut.
What is the trick? I don't want to damage the blades.
Anyone can turn green beans brown...

kolu

#2: Post by kolu »

The best way in my opinion is to open the bottom of the grinder (5 screws) and unscrew the whole stator winding (2 long screws - be careful with the wires and winding because it's fragile) which exposes the whole rotor so you can grab it with your left hand while loosening the spindle nut on the top of the grinder with socket wrench (BTW it's ordinary thread so turn your wrench counterclockwise to loosen it). The burr carrier is sometimes stuck to the axle, refer to the Mazzer SJ lower burr carrier removal procedure, it's the same. Give it all a good cleaning after disassembly so you don't need to use the grindz tablets (nasty stuff, IMHO).
Good luck.

Advertisement
zombiecoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by zombiecoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the help. I will refer to the mazzer carrier in the forums.
I was hoping there was an easier way than up the grinders a$$, but I guess i should do a total takedown anyway. sigh. maybe i will take pictures for a future rr45 owner to refer to
Anyone can turn green beans brown...

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

See this: http://www.fotchbook.com/faq/mazzer/index.html . It is a superb pictorial essay on disassembly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

kolu

#5: Post by kolu »

This: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ ... 4Large.jpg pretty much didn't work in my case (I even damaged the carrier and grinding chamber) so therefore I suggested to hold the rotor from the bottom side. YMMV :)

aerojrp

#6: Post by aerojrp »

Thought I replied on this last night... but it got lost in cyberspace!

Probably the easiest and safest method to remove the nut is with an impact driver/wrench. Normally one of the smaller cordless impacts will do the job nicely. It is never a good idea to try to hold an armature from spinning unless you can completely remove it and hold it in something like a precision collet in a lathe. You shouldn't have to hold it at all to spin the nut loose with the impact driver, but worst case, you could add friction on the burrs with a paper towel, or if it's really stubborn, a block of weed. Don't use anything metal!

Jim

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends »

The advice I got when I bought my Pietro T-80 on e-bay was to let the bottom carrier alone, clean everything else up, change the burrs and be happy. That's what I did and I am happy with my grinder.

Advertisement
kolu

#8: Post by kolu »

aerojrp wrote:It is never a good idea to try to hold an armature from spinning unless you can completely remove it and hold it in something like a precision collet in a lathe.
I have never considered holding that big thing by bare hand a bad idea. Have you ever disassembled that monster? It's built like a tank. Hardly anything can be damaged by holding the bottom part (rotor magnet or what is ist) by hand.

aerojrp

#9: Post by aerojrp replying to kolu »

I actually have the same grinder and am well versed in motor design and construction. It all really depends on how tight the nut is on, but if you grab the wrong thing, you can damage the rotor's fan blades, move the fan, or scratch windings on the motor. Yes, you can get away with it if you are careful (and if the nut isn't stuck), but why take the time to take it apart and risk it if you don't have to. So, some might not have an impact driver, and not want to make the investment (although they are really handy tools), in that case there is no choice, but I still say to be really careful and don't underestimate the damage that could occur.

Jim