Need replacement Arrarex Carvel portafilter - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
sorrentinacoffee

#11: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Good News Carevelistas! Following on from PC's thinking I decided to finally give it a try. Got out a PV PF and the dremel. Took me hours... you must remove material from the lugs, and from the body of the PF and you must also grind off some of the PV basket rim- but after many hours of of grinding, filing, checking- grinding again- IT FITS! :P

Now- I ground off all the external chrome- and crudely polished the brass- looks great on my yellow machine- but if you were neater you could keep the chrome that is exposed at the bottom of the PF when it is locked in. You would need to remove the top third of the chrome and some brass though just to get the handle to fit. After I removed that material I flattened off the top of the pf a little to bring the 'ears' up a little- I didn't need to flatten the ridge on the basket lip! Although the lug 'ears' are oriented different than the stock PF the handle still locks in well at a good position (only just) and does not obstruct the lever (just)- it is a perfect solution and opens up a world of Ponte Vecchio baskets- small, medium and large! Basically there is a Caravel portafilter inside a Ponte Vecchio one- you just have to dig it out.

Just enjoying my second double pull Naked Caravel shot using the Ponte Vecchio Double Basket. First shot got a perfect long pour- the desired 'rats tail'. SUPERB!

all good with dosage- we have 'the donut' forming
into steady 'rat tail' --- good ---

that's what I am talking about- tiger stripes:

peacecup

#12: Post by peacecup »

Thanks for the hard work Jack. I probably would never had got up the courage to take the grinder to a 70 Euro PV PF, but now I might. A decent machinist is sitting on a small fortune there! Plus, the PV double basket is a bonus because it is soooo easy to prepare. I also like the brass and yellow combo. I have a pearly yellow VAM just waiting for me to get the time to try one myself.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

daveyb (original poster)

#13: Post by daveyb (original poster) »

It is amazing what the power of collective thinking can achieve! Well done Jack and thanks for sharing this with us!

grog

#14: Post by grog »

Simply awesome. Just like that, a PF-less Caravel can be back in service!
LMWDP #514

beer&mathematics

#15: Post by beer&mathematics »

Fine work, Jack to the power two!
LMWDP #431