Hand grinders for drip for a friend who likes dark roasts?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
da gino

#1: Post by da gino »

I have a Lido that I recently got and I love it for travel. It is great for the kind of medium to light roast that I tend to use for drip, but I took it on a trip last week and used it in front of two people who both drink darker coffee than I do (think Starbucks) and they both now want a hand grinder. (One of them ridiculed my coffee obsession first and then said, "by the way where can I get one of those?")

The Lido stalled out a bit on oily beans, which doesn't bother me since I don't want to use oily beans, but it did make me wonder if there was another grinder that would be better for those who like their coffee very dark? The Hario and Porlex were the obvious travel grinders I found if you didn't have a Lido and didn't want to spend more than a Lido runs, but I have no experience with either of them and also hadn't seen any direct comment on either one's strengths with dark roasts.

thanks for any advice!

Hugh

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Hm. Dark roasts should be easy grinds. What is stalling out? Can't turn? Might need to go coarser.

PS might want to grind some rice through on coarse to get rid off the oil...
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

If it's an oily coffee it can gum up, but oily coffees like that will gum up any grinder. They ought to be fine with anything, just warn them they need to clean it.
LMWDP #366