Chemex Origami

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
turtle

#1: Post by turtle »

I decided to dig out my ancient Chemex CM-1 two cup pour over today. I don't think I have laid eyes on this little pour over for at least 2 decades. It is in the basement in a cabinet with my other Chemex brewers and my Cona Vacuum pot. Washed all of the dust off of it and after spending a hectic 2 hours searching high and low I came across the FP-2 "half moon" filters for it.

It has been so long since I've used this little pour over that I forgot how "strange" the filter system is for it.

Folding the filters is like creating Chemex Origami.

I ground up 24 grams of Hawaiian Kona beans in my weight based Baratza Maestro set at #22 (a moderate drip grind setting) and brewed up a cup for the wife and myself. All I can say is..... Yoza what a cup of coffee this little jewel is capable of making.

What prompted me to go looking for the little 2 cup Chemex was that I almost bought a Hario 01 sized (2 cup) pour over and filters. I got thinking.... I have a 2 cup Chemex somewhere so what am I doing looking at something else.. SO... This is what precipitated the quest into the deepest, darkest, regions of the basement.

The Chemex was easy to locate as I have all of my "spare/extra" coffee equipment in a cabinet but the filters were not in there with the makers. A couple boxes of the square and round filters for the larger Chemex makers but the FP-2 filters were somewhere else. Once I found them I realized why. The box is enormous as the filters are amazingly large for making just 2 cups of coffee.

A few pics for your enjoyment

The little guy next to the BIG (unfolded) filter

The filter folded... I never would have thought that that BIG filter would fold down this small. Lots of folds to get it into a filter... Glad the folding instructions were on the box of filters otherwise I would have been LOST....

Starting the brew... Used my Russell Hobbs kettle and kept it hot all through the pour. The end results were spectacular... I'm going to use this little Chemex jewel a LOT more often now....

You can tell how long this maker has been put away from the filter box. I think they went away from that box design in sometime in the 1980's.

I have no idea where I am going to store the filters. They are just too dang BIG.... Maybe I WILL get a Hario V60 after all

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

jaybar

#2: Post by jaybar »

How much water did you use?

Thanks

Jay

turtle (original poster)

#3: Post by turtle (original poster) replying to jaybar »

14 oz of water.

cai42
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by cai42 »

Greetings,

The Chemex box you have looks like the one I ordered last year. I guess that filter size is a slow mover.

Cliff

turtle (original poster)

#5: Post by turtle (original poster) replying to cai42 »

The teller of an old product is the hand written price of $2.99 ....AND..... No UPC bar code on the packaging.... BUT... There is a Zip code on the street address so they are not THAT old :lol:

Can you recall where you ordered yours from and does your box contain a bar code?

They've looked like the one in the image (link below) for quite a while now (smaller square box with filters folded in half).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aGaqRbmqL.jpg

I would imagine that the filter paper is the same between the old type and new type.

I would not be surprised if there were a LOT of the older style (unfolded) filters in the flat boxes still floating around.

The 2-3 cup Chemex was not very popular. The price of it today when compared to pour over tops probably keeps it unpopular. I bought my 2-3 cup maker back in the early 70's

cai42
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by cai42 »

Turtle,

I'm using Chemex filter # FP2 and I ordered them from Chemex's website.

Cliff