Vario + Stone = Damaged???

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jgoodman00

#1: Post by jgoodman00 »

I have had a vario for a few months now and it has been great until today when it ingested a stone. It made a terrible noise and I stopped the grinder immediately.

I opened it up and removed the stone; the burrs appear undamaged after cleaning. However, it appears to have lost its calibration and the motor now labours around 2h. I followed the calibration instructions but found turning the screw makes little difference.

How much do you normally need to adjust the calibration screw in turns to make an difference? The burrs look perfect but I fear something may have been moved out of alignment?

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

If you haven't already, I would suggest you contact Baratza, their customer service is known for being pretty good in these sorts of situations.

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

Contact Baratza. I've had this happen to me. They helped me out by sending me a good belt to replace the stripped one you currently have. Unless you incurred much more damage, it doesn't sound like it. I think the only thing that happens is the burrs stop turning and the belt spins itself into a neat piece of rubber.
LMWDP #670

ladalet

#4: Post by ladalet »

In addition to the belt you may have to do a primary calibration. The grinder comes with a 2mm tool for the secondary calibration. The primary calibration screw is 2.5mm and is behind the secondary screw hole under a rectangular grommet. You may want to try this first. The belt may not be the issue. Even if the belt turns out to be the issue it is still useful to know how to do this:) I hope this helps.

Here is a link to the PDF.

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... al-new.pdf
Lance Goffinet
LMWDP #019