Pasquini Heating Element/Relay Problem?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
thedartedash1

#1: Post by thedartedash1 »

Hey Hey-

I recently got my hands on a Pasquini Livia 90 (automatic).

It was in full working condition when I got it, but needed a little TLC. I decided to do a full tare-down/descale. Got my new gaskets, shined everything up, and put it back together! except, now it won't start:(

When I turn it on, the orange and green light flash for a half second, then my machine trips the GFI. I can see the relay is flipping at the same time. When I unplug the boiler the machine starts up and works normally (without heat of course). I have also found if I disconnect the relay, the machine will turn on, but won't heat (element plugged in of-course). (I have tried multiple outlets on different GFI circuits)

This would leave me to believe the heating element is shot... However, it worked before! I did soak the whole thing in my citric acid bath (which I later found out is a "no-no" for heating elements). Did that really kill it? how would I determine if the relay is bad, or the element in bad?

I have checked and triple checked ALL of my connections. I can't find anything suspect.

HELP!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Here's a tech tip on the Orphan Espresso site that tells you how to diagnose and repair a heating element that may have developed a temporary short because water has gotten into it. They also give instructions on when it appears the element needs replacement.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-a ... 620-1.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

thedartedash1 (original poster)

#3: Post by thedartedash1 (original poster) »

This is EXACTLY The advice I needed! I will try this, and see what happens (look forward to follow-up post.)

THANKS!

thedartedash1 (original poster)

#4: Post by thedartedash1 (original poster) »

Hey-

I didn't have an OHMS reader handy, so I decided to just bake the heck out of it considering the element worked before soaking it. I baked it for about 4 hours on 250(F). I am sure the element experiences higher temps, but I didn't want to risk anything.

BAM! It works! for now I am not going to strip off the ceramic rings... I will just leave things the way they are.

I took some photos of the rebuild, and some of the issues i came across. I will be posting those pics sometime soon.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

That's another way to test it! Glad it worked out for you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!