Loading a 45mm basket - redux - large doses - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
beer&mathematics (original poster)

#11: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Dang, that shot looks really good. Did you assist the lever to increase the pressure? Maybe I should try updosing again.
Thanks :wink: Yes, I think it is necessary to get a decent flow rate because I need to tamp pretty hard (although still with my index fingers) and forgot to loosen the grind a bit. For doses below 15g, I find I rarely need to assist the lever if my grind is right. For the shot pictured, assisting the lever seems to really thicken the shot. Works well for this coffee since it is essentially two notes: caramel and macadamia nut.

Still experimenting and having lots of fun.

I think blondes do have more fun!
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

I love those bright colors, I'll trade you a black La Peppina kettle for your yellow one any day!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

Inspired by Jorge, I dosed 18 grams of the Slate Coffee Mauricio Fadul I got from Maxwell Mooney in my La Peppina (just using the small OE funnel and a hockey puck that you can see at the edge of the frame) and got a nice, thick shot. I had to help the lever, but I really enjoyed this boost in body, crema, and flavor. This coffee has held up well in spite of it's age.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#14: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Nice! Hockey puck is a nice touch. What were the notes from the Mauricio Fadul pull and what temp did you use? I am settling on starting the shot when the thermometer reads 201F.

Tomorrow some greens from SM should arrive and I can't wait to soon try some more acidic coffees with La Peppina.
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

I lowered my PID to 93 C (~199 F) and got stone fruit / cherry. I might try pulling it a bit hotter.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

Another 18 gram shot of the Slate espresso pulled at 95 C this time, I think I like it better.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pacificmanitou

#17: Post by pacificmanitou »

Y'all are making me want to stray from my 13:16g ristrettos. I could easily load the basket more. I haven't touched my peppina in months, and forgot how those shots can look.
LMWDP #366

#18: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to pacificmanitou »

Is 13:16 what you pull on the Lusso?
LMWDP #431