Used Izzo Alex Duetto II or New HX Espresso Machine?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thebigragu

#1: Post by thebigragu »

This is my current dilemma:

$1500 Budget.

Choice 1: Right now I know of a Izzo Duetto II for $1500. Decently maintained unit purchased in 2010 with around 1000 shots pulled on it. This is a dual boiler unit with PID. Normally goes for $2500.

Alternately could get a brand new HX machine for close to same price. Thinking of new Faema Carisma, Quick Mill Anita, Rocket Cellini, Bezzera Mitica, or similar.

Would you take a chance on used unit for additional features at this lower price, or would you go for something new with warranty....

darilon

#2: Post by darilon »

To be completely honest, I think either would be a great choice. The fact of the matter is that there aren't a lot of issues with espresso machines for the first 5-10 years of their lives other than regular maintenance like changing gaskets, descaling and backflushing. If you are reasonably handy, even replacing parts down the road isn't much of a chore (heating element, p-stat, etc).

If it were me, I might go the used DB route just to see what it's like. Worst case, I decide it's not what I want and I sell it for about what I paid and then turn around and buy a shiny new HX. Any of the machines you mention will make great espresso. The only difference is a new machine will immediately lose 10-20% of its value as soon as you buy it because it's no longer 'new'. I have a 20 year old machine that I bought 3-5 years ago. Including the parts (brain box, heating element) I spent less than 1/3 of the cost of the same machine new and it works just as well as the day it shipped brand new (ok, not everything is as tank like as a Cimbali Jr D!)

You have a happy conundrum for which all of your choices will lead to happiness - enjoy!

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

I think the decision has to be based on the trust you have of the seller of the Duetto. Also, the DB s. HX deate and where you stand on that front.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Bob_McBob

#4: Post by Bob_McBob »

Are you planning to upgrade your grinder at the same time? If that isn't factored into your budget, a used HX machine and a new grinder would be a much better purchase than either of the options you mentioned.
Chris

thebigragu (original poster)

#5: Post by thebigragu (original poster) »

All thanks for comments.

On grinder question: No I have a brand new rocky. Budget dictates gonna have to live with that for now. With this and the Solis SL70 I get occasional brilliant shots, but occasional. Consistency still a problem.
Hoping to move away from the temp surfing thing and the difficulty of milk drinks on that machine.

HX vs DB Debate: I'll have to read up. I know the difference between systems, and comparative advantages from reading and a bit of observation. After single boiler could live with either, but dual seems to be ideal if possible.

Maintenance: Thanks, if there is not a lot to go wrong with a recent machine, I may go used....