1K Drum Roaster vs 1lb Roaster ???? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cygnusx1

#11: Post by cygnusx1 »

boar_d_laze wrote:$1000 - $1500 roaster only, or inclusive? The cost of things you might not yet realize you ABSOFRICKINGLUTELY NEED adds up.
That would be roaster only. You're right that the extra 'incidentals' can add up. For instance the Huky doesn't incorporate a cyclone collector or means to control air flow efficiently. I'm aware of that, ok with it and have planned for that expense and mod.

Right now I roast 125-150g minimum batches every few days by hand. I don't think I've gone more than 4 or 5 days without roasting. I try to overlap different varieties so as not to miss ones peak.

For me, I want to be able to control, plot and profile roasts on a roaster using LP gas (open flame or ir) within the comfort of my 'man space' (the garage). I can imagine the roast batches being larger in the future but probably not within the 1kg+ range. I'm open to doing mods when and if necessary. I think that the Huky hits those marks for me but I would not be opposed to looking at others. This is why this forum is a great source of information.
There's quite a bit of experience concerning the decision making process as it applies to upgrading roasters here at H-B.
In your words, Rich -- absofrickinglutely! :mrgreen:

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by hankua (original poster) »

No matter how great the one pounder is, and I've got one and it'll wear you out roasting larger quantities of beans. On my roaster the first batch is really a warm-up; after that the machine's pretty consistent.

How many batches are you going to roast during a session? Can one pound be you smallest charge? Stepping past the one pounder should be carefully considered if one is contemplating selling in the future. The 1lb machine has no excess capacity whereas the 1K does. Getting the right size machine in the beginning makes sense, because it's the last upgrade unless you end up going pro.

chang00

#13: Post by chang00 »

If the number of installed base makes a difference in purchase decisions, in the US, there are at least 5 Yang Chia 800N/Mini 500 roasters, and most/all (?) are hobbyists who do not hold back roasting experience. The other typical users of the much more expensive domestic roasters are probably commercial shops, and generally don't share roasting information.

As hankua mentioned, the 1-pound/500g size is well suited for home use. I generally roast several 300g batches weekly for variety, although recently I have been roasting 500g for gift. Any amounts more I will be way too caffeinated.

If one is considering going "pro", the 1-pound roaster will serve as a great sample roaster when the business expands.

The Yang Chia 800N/Mini 500 can be carried by one person and loaded into a typical SUV. I don't know if a 1kg roaster can be transported as easily.

The 1kg roaster may be too small for production roasting, but too big for sample roasting. From reading air quality regulations, the 4kg roaster can probably fly just under the radar to be exempt from certain regulations, so I would think commercial roasters will choose a 4kg machine, therefore it is probably even a smaller installed base for the 1kg roasters.

boar_d_laze

#14: Post by boar_d_laze »

hankua wrote:How many batches are you going to roast during a session? Can one pound be you smallest charge?
The two of us go through a little less than 700g of roasted beans in a week. What with roasting for family members, friends, and giving gifts, our weekly average is about 2kg in greens. The Amazon's lack of power creates a realistic limit of 600g of greens per charge, for a yield slightly in excess of 500g.
Stepping past the one pounder should be carefully considered if one is contemplating selling in the future. The 1lb machine has no excess capacity whereas the 1K does. Getting the right size machine in the beginning makes sense, because it's the last upgrade unless you end up going pro.
Yes to that, but with a few minor caveats and quibbles.

Nominal capacity is just that. Some roasters punch above their weight, and some less.

In addition to knowing the practical max amount, it's important to consider the practical minimum. For instance, you may want to occasionally roast 150g charges -- not many 1kg roasters will reach that low without issues.

Perhaps the best way to think about roaster size is in terms of number and length of roasting sessions. For instance, I have no problem doing as many four roasts per session, two -- or very occasionally three -- times a week, but wouldn't want to take it much farther than that.

Friends of ours who own a bakery asked whether I could supply them with coffee. Small bakery, not insanely busy, not a huge trade in coffee, a little more than 20# per week, or about 12kg of greens. Moral of the story... a 1kg roaster is too small for any but the lightest commercial duty.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

the_trystero

#15: Post by the_trystero »

It blows me away how much business Entimos does on their IR-1, I know I would burn out really fast:

"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon