Ceramic pourover lead safety

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
justlovejava

#1: Post by justlovejava »

Given enough time, and enough hot water, is there potential for lead to leach through ceramic in a pour over pot? Anyone?

I noticed a steel version of a pour over pot and am wondering if that's safer? Or are the lead levels these days low enough that it doesn't matter?

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Well considering how irate I become about packaging and keeping old coffee out of places like Fresh Market, I would say stay away stay very far away from the ceramic pourover.

Advertisement
Arctic Mama

#3: Post by Arctic Mama »

Food grade glazes are quite inert. Humans have been cooking, eating with, and storing foods of varying temperatures and acidities in ceramic vessels since the beginning. The poison is in the dose, not the substance - a little lead will NOT cause appreciable harm. It's keeping it out of the range of toxicity that is key, and the clay and glaze bases of pretty much all ceramic cookware and dishwater I've ever encountered have even well within tolerable margins for trace heavy metals.

I used to throw pottery - even with that fairly rough clay base, I was never concerned to leave a piece unglazed. And to my knowledge, even my dear friend (who is a potter by trade, now) and has her entire kitchen filled with ceramics has shown zero signs of sickness from in vitro or in vivo exposure.

And if it is Chinese produced ceramics we're concerned about, don't be. Again, the base and glaze both are likely just fine if fired properly. It is materials that DON'T bind the metals to their molecular structure, like plastics or food products, themselves, that I'd worry about. But a pourover cone being exposed to what are very modest temperatures (by pottery standards, consider the temps at which they were fired) for a short period of time? Not even a blip on my radar. I'm more likely to sustain serious injury from a piece of lettuce or walking down the street than accumulate appreciably concerning lead levels from a porcelain piece of dishware!

justlovejava (original poster)

#4: Post by justlovejava (original poster) »

Very much appreciate the response! I will continue to enjoy my pour over.

Paul_Pratt

#5: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Anything that touches food should have been tested, if in doubt ask the supplier or manufacturer for the test report, test reports should be done by a 3rd party and relevant to that production run.