Can't remove lower burr carrier on Aristarco grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Wired

#1: Post by Wired »

Hi from a long time reader and 1st poster.

I've recently acquired an Aristarco Grinder (not sure what model but could be ema 80) which hasn't seen any love since it was born.

I'm basically taking it apart giving it a good clean and have got to the bottom burr carrier which I cannot seem to remove.

As you can see by the pic there's a retaining screw which screws into the centre spindle which I've unscrewed. After removing this screw I thought it would just pull off. It hasn't.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

The lower burr carrier looks similar to that on a Mazzer. I removed one on a Mazzer using a heat gun to heat the burr carrier, then prying it up from below, through the exit chute. This was suggested to me on this forum, and it worked well. Another method that I have seen suggested is to get long screws that you can screw through the burr mounting holes, then slowly screw them down through the carrier, thereby lifting the carrier.

This thread should help:

Removing Super Jolly lower burr carrier
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Heating the burr carrier with a heat gun or plumbers torch may expand it enough to allow you to gently pry it up through the chute opening & lift it off. You'd want to concentrate the heat on the base of the carrier so that the rotor shaft stays as cool as possible. If that doesn't work then you'd have to run 3 long screws down through the burr mount holes so that they contact the casting & push the carrier up off the shaft. Heating the carrier first would also be a good idea if you go that route.
LMWDP 267

Wired (original poster)

#4: Post by Wired (original poster) »

That's great advice.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

I'm not sure how comfortable I am using a heat gun on the grinder, I'll probably go for the longer screw method first and see how I get on.

Based on how much crud I've cleaned out so far I can only wonder what I'm going to find when I remove the burr carrier!!!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Wired wrote:I'm not sure how comfortable I am using a heat gun on the grinder,
It won't melt. :lol:
LMWDP 267