Milk is literally boiling when I try to steam

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Michelle86

#1: Post by Michelle86 »

Hi

I am a newbie to making coffee and lattes but however I bought an Oscar Simonelli and i am not sure what I am doing wrong but the steam wand doesnt froth the milk, it starts off fine but then after a few seconds it starts to boil the milk like big boiling bubbles - why is it doing that?

Is it the milk? I was using 2% low fat milk?

Is the steamer too hot?

When I then try and bring the tip of the wand towards the surface it shoots little droplets of milk out the jug.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Burner0000

#3: Post by Burner0000 »

Watch and learn from the video Randy posted. This will help you. The OSCAR produces a lot of steam so you will be steaming up to temp very quickly. RIGHT off the bat try starting the steaming deep in the milk and raising to the top until you hear the faint hissing noises then move it around until you find the sweet spot where the milk starts to swirl.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Burner0000 wrote:RIGHT off the bat try starting the steaming deep in the milk and raising to the top until you hear the faint hissing noises then move it around until you find the sweet spot where the milk starts to swirl.
Also, use more milk, and place the pitcher in the freezer for three to five minutes to drop the temperature of the milk. This will extend the time you have to steam it while learning. After you get the hang of it this will not be necessary.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

allon

#5: Post by allon »

Is it actually boiling or just bubbling a lot?
If you can't hold the pitcher by the bottom, it's too hot. If you can, it isn't boiling.
LMWDP #331

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

When I purchased my Oscar the previous owner had shoved toothpicks into 2 of the holes and broken the tip off in there in an attempt to have more control over the steaming. (Actually in an attempt to slow down steaming.) Some people find that useful when learning.

You also don't need to open the valve all the way when steaming if it's too fast for you. The Oscar is a steam monster!

Once you get used to the fast steaming people generally love it. Just takes alot of practice to get it right.
LMWDP #445

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

You may be confusing rapid, violent airation with boiling. Dan has a video on steaming in the Espresso 101: Newbie Introduction to Espresso [videos]
Dave Stephens

blueface

#8: Post by blueface »

Hi Michelle, why not use a thermometer & from there you will know the temperature. :wink:

angman

#9: Post by angman »

I finally learned how to steam properly on my Vibiemme. I only stretch the milk for a very limited time (the hiss near the top of the milk) then I just plunge the wand deep down and against the pitcher. The violent steam mixes the milk up into a swirl and produces perfect latte art milk every time now. Now if only I can pour properly.

Also always used chilled steam pitchers
Always used fresh milk
The fatter the milk the easier