Elektra Nino chute jamming with coffee

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mulzby

#1: Post by mulzby »

Hi all, my Elektra Nino arrived today and after dialing it in I am having some issues with the chute jamming with coffee and I need to tap it to get it to dose .

I am single dosing which I know is not what this beast is meant for but surely can be done ? I did take the top off the chute and tape up the little flap which helped, however I then had the bright idea that if that worked why not take the flap off all together .... dumb move as now the clogging is back again ...

Can any one please give me some advice ?
Cheers Mark

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Terranova »

I know of 2 other guys having the same problem with grind sticking on the chute of their Nino, they have sent it back to the supplier without having any success when it arrived back at their home, it has never changed and so far I have never heard about a workaround.
If nothing helps send it back or use RDT.
Mine never had that problem, despite the fact that my flavor profile better fits to large flat burr grinders, I couldn't get close to any consistency with the Nino when single dosing.

See here for some pictures:

http://www.kaffee-netz.de/m-hlen/61660- ... post811813

Advertisement
mulzby (original poster)

#3: Post by mulzby (original poster) »

Thanks for that , I may have to use a half full hopper and just put with wasting a few grams each time I empty the hopper each day .. Mine doesn't block to the extent of the ones depicted but it is annoying ... What are your thoughts on spraying chute with a food grade silicone spray ?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Terranova »

mulzby wrote:... What are your thoughts on spraying chute with a food grade silicone spray ?
I bet that it doesn't help at all, no matter what material, no matter which spray or coating, sure a perfect polished surface is the minimum requirement but you cannot beat the statics rather than fight it.
Better try a wire (copper) connected to earth, for neutralizing the ions directly after the grind comes out of the burrs.
The rest is all trial and error.
Wishing you luck and may the crema be with you.

Frank

mulzby (original poster)

#5: Post by mulzby (original poster) »

Hmmmm .. Ah well I best put my thinking cap on as my wife won't be impressed if I can't get it working as promised .. Thanks frank ..
Mark

spaz2

#6: Post by spaz2 »

Mark,

My Nino would back up in an instant when it was new. The usual cause was my restricting the free fall of the grounds in some way, even for an instant. The other causes of back up were: grinding to fine, oily beans and the burrs not being seasoned. Most everything evened out after about 60 pounds of beans however it does still on occasion will leave 0.3 gram hanging in the chute.

I replaced the original industrial sized bean hopper with a slim version from another manufacture which holds about 24 ounces. I also find the grinder needs a least 5 ounces of beans to be consistent.

Hope this is helpful.

tom

michaelbenis

#7: Post by michaelbenis »

I'm afraid the answer's simple. Use the Nino as it was designed to be, which was not for single dosing. I have two, both of which have performed faultlessly. I only once had problems with the grinds backing up and that was when I foolishly ground into a receptacle I held directly below the chute rather than below the portafilter holder.
LMWDP No. 237

Advertisement
mulzby (original poster)

#8: Post by mulzby (original poster) »

Thanks gents , I have also had the hopper cut down to take approximatly 350 gms , I will go to using it full and take un used beans out each night . The grinder was seasoned by supplier prior to delivery but unknown how much was put through . I have a new chute cover arriving tomorrow so will load hopper and see how that goes .. At present it jammed every time I use it either with a full hopper or single . It appears to flow freely for the 1st second or so but then blocks up and I end up wasting beans and making a mess taking the chute cover off and clearing it ..

Hopefully a new day Wil lead to better results , I won't attempt to modify it any more if u get it running ... Are you both happy with your ninos ?

Thanks mark

mulzby (original poster)

#9: Post by mulzby (original poster) »

New chute cover arrived .. Problem sorted immediately .. Thanks for the tips folks .

Theodore

#10: Post by Theodore »

Hi.
I come back after long time,because of my mother's illness.After she passed away,I can again join the club.
The problem of the Nino you discuss,is my Nino problem also,and because of this,I have quit drinking espresso.
Coffee,is stacked in the grinder,so the motor can not work and the electric fuse,is blown.
I have written to Elektra srl,and they say I have to send the grinder to Italy to fix it.
Too sad to have a grinder of 1800€ value,not working.What a stupid decision to buy a machine without support in Greece.
I forgot to say that I bought and put a new set of burrs,giving a lot of money,so as to overcome the problem,but the problem is still here.
Regards,
Theodore.
Espresso uber alles.