Used Bunn G1 vs Used Grindmaster 850 - Grind Comparison

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mbelt

#1: Post by mbelt »

This is by no means mean to be a review of either grinder, both examples are used. The Grindermaster is refurbished and re-branded. I just though I'd share my comparison.

I've been using refurbished Grindmaster 850 for four of five years. I bought it for $70 from a defunct market which wasn't around very long.

This weekend I relieved someone on craigslist of their Super Jolly, the only catch was that it came with a bonus Bunn G1. The Bunn had an unknown number lbs run through it, so I decided to do a grind comparison. I have no use for two 50lb bulk grinders, and I can sell either and make up the cost of the Mazzer. So, which to keep?

Full Image: http://i.imgur.com/cMgXpqZ.jpg
You can really see in the full image, the Bunn produces more fines, and the coarse grind is less consistent. I'll chalk this up to worn burrs. I was hoping to keep the Bunn, I like the grind trap which reduces static... plus it's red, but it looks like I'll keep the Grindmaster.

jedovaty

#2: Post by jedovaty »

Try to brew from each simultaneously and taste blind, see if you can tell a difference. Ideally, you'll have a control (e.g. total three cups, two of the same). This is a great way to remove any prejudices. And do the test several times over the coarse of a few days, see if your results are consistent, too. :)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Depends how you brew I guess. The Grindmaster is turning out a nicer coarse grind but the medium (Drip?) & fine grind of the Bunn looks better (fluffier) to me.
LMWDP 267