Counter Culture Toscano and decaf Rustico Aging Advice Needed

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rockethead26

#1: Post by rockethead26 »

I've ordered my first batch of Espresso Toscano and decaf Rustico and was looking for some wisdom as to how many days to age the beans before using. I make all milk based drinks for myself and the wife.

I normally blend about 75% decaf to /25% regular for my wife's lattes. Hopefully these two blends will play nicely together.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I assume you mean rest time for degassing, not aging like cheese or wine. Anyway, in my experience, the ideal taste profile for Toscano is during 4-7 days. Rustico's rest period is similar, though its fruit notes go flat quickly. I don't buy much decaf; in my experience, they degas more quickly and go stale faster.
Dan Kehn

rockethead26 (original poster)

#3: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Yes, sorry, I meant rest time. I'm still new to the specifics of coffees.

Now, to be a stickler, don't the beans also age by 4-7 days? :) The beans, after all, are sealed up just like wine in a barrel (well, minus the outgassing valve). Just curious about the wordplay as it applies to coffee.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Technically, everything in existence ages, if you want to be a stickler. But as it applies to wine and cheese, aging is tied to fermentation. Of course, roasted coffee doesn't ferment. But we digress.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

Excellent, Dan. Now my day is complete as I've learned something new today. Thanks for playing along. Digressing is fun once in a while.

Steve C

#6: Post by Steve C »

I'm a regular long time user of their Toscano and have found that on my machine, a double boiler Brewtus, that 8 to 10 days post roast yields a smooth, rich, chocolatey (sp?) taste profile. We too are latte and capa drinkers that also prefer sugar in our drinks.

I know this long a time sounds unusual but I've found that anything much shorter results in lots of spritzing during the pour and a harsher taste. Usually receive coffee about 3 days post roast, let them sit about 3days then freeze in zip locks. Pull them a bag at a time and let sit out another 3 days. Usually finish a 12 oz bag in 5-6 days and drinks are consistenly good.

All in all, the beans are consumed from about the 9th day to 15th day post roast. I buy 6 bags at a time and it works well from the first bag thru the last.

steve

#7: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

That's great information, Steve. My first batch should be here tomorrow and will already be on its 4th day post roast. I'll let it sit another day and then freeze the beans in Ball jars like I usually do.

Dan seemed to like 4-7 days, so I'll split the difference on the first jars out of the freezer. After a day's wait, I should be on a day 6 start and I'll experiment from there.

Thanks for your help,

Jim