Roasting Sumatra Lintong

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Hugonl28

#1: Post by Hugonl28 »

Got six kilos of Sumatra Lintong Raja Batak. On the Hottop B:
Tried roasting just into second crack, resulting in a bit of a burnt taste. (14:55/408F)
Roasted just after first crack finished, very acidic, sour actually. (13:20/393F)
Roasted about 1 minute past first crack, pleasant acidity, but still quite overpowering. (14:20/400F)

I like acidity, a lot, but it seemed like there was not much more to it.
Does anybody use the Lintong Raja Batak as a SO for espresso?
Or is it better to mix in some other beans? Any ideas? Pre-roast/post-roast?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Use a slow start, fast finish profile: drop in the beans at a lower temperature, take an extra minute or two getting to the first crack, don't back off the heat too much and finish hot and fast to the beginning of a rolling second. The exact numbers and timings is something you'll need to figure out for your particular roaster.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
Hugonl28 (original poster)

#3: Post by Hugonl28 (original poster) »

Thanks for replying, Jim. They taste a lot better this way, so you were right!
I made another batch with 50% Brazilian Santos and 50% Raja Batak,
now I have the tickly sensation of the Batak with some earthy notes,
together with a long lasting aftertaste from the Santos.
So much to learn, it's a great hobby.

P.s. moderator, I noticed I put this in the wrong section, it should be in Roasting, not Brewing.. sorry

pechelman

#4: Post by pechelman »

I have no clue how similar this coffee is to a Sumatra lingtong dolok sanngul I recently roasted, but make sure you give it rest.

The last batch I roasted was about the most unapproachable I've ever experienced just due to needing more rest. Even more so than any Yemeni coffee I've roasted.

I was certain I nailed a solid full city but it tasted like I was trying to pull a 194f shot with a city+ central. Fast forward 5 days and its really opened up and quite tasty. Wish I had some more with the knowledge of just letting it sit a week before using any.