Percolation Aeropress Method

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
endlesscycles

#1: Post by endlesscycles »

I've been playing with this idea. I like the Aeropress for the cheap filters and easy cleaning. I don't like it because it is an immersion method which I find creates a less focused, more cloudy brew. In an attempt to tighten up the brew, I've been trying to get more cake filtration using a column of clean water on top that is pressed through settled coffee. I do this by prewetting 15g dry coffee with 50g of water. At 1min, I add 50g water. At 2min, I very gently pour 150g water. At 2:30, I press slowly. I'm certain there is room for improvement on this concept.

Just an idea for those who like easy cleanup and tight, focused brews.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Netphilosopher

#2: Post by Netphilosopher »

Aeropress is very versatile

MWJB

#3: Post by MWJB »

I have used the Aeropress as pretty much a straight pourover, just using the plunger to express the last of the brew when it stalls...sometimes you need not even do that, just remove from the cup if the issue is becoming astringent & bitter.

I have got better "focus" on inverted, steeped Aeropress brews by adding the grinds on top of the water, quick wet, no agitation until the flip & plunge.

Although the Aeropress is typically used as an immersion brewer there is a difference that the Aeropress & the CCD share, when compared to, say French press.

In the French press we pour water on to the grounds, trap the grounds & pour the brew off the top. If there is any stratification, the lower TDS/lighter parts are what we drink, higher TDS & heavier components remain trapped. In the Aeropress & typically in the CCD we steep, then draw/press through the filter bottom first...I can't help wondering whether this affects the flavour profile for a given yield/dissolution %. Recessed acidity, with good mouthfeel & body do seem to be common to CCD & Aeropress brews & I often find myself trying to counter this.

endlesscycles (original poster)

#4: Post by endlesscycles (original poster) »

Buttercup wrote:I re-read this several times. You're adding successive amounts of water to the same slurry without pressing in-between, right?...
I think you are right. My intent is to keep the grounds down and have a nice column of clear water above that is pressed slowly through...(clean solvent, cake filtration) though that may be impossible in practice.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

What if you placed a filter on top of the coffee, then poured the water?
Scott
LMWDP #248

MWJB

#6: Post by MWJB replying to sweaner »

...and/or tamp the cake?

Netphilosopher

#7: Post by Netphilosopher »

endlesscycles wrote:I think you are right. My intent is to keep the grounds down and have a nice column of clear water above that is pressed slowly through...(clean solvent, cake filtration) though that may be impossible in practice.
I tried something different this morning. I think there might be something here, but my first attempt didn't work that well.

Ground fine, 16g coffee with supported paper AP filter (Able Fine disc against the screen). Mixed with 16g of water to a paste, then put the paste into the AeroPress, removed the piston and used the plastic to tamp the paste. THEN I carefully poured hot water down the side of the piston-less plunger (about 250g). Before pressing, there was visually lighter water at the top of the column.

Problem was pressing took a bunch of effort and some diffusion during the press. But it does indicate that it's possible to get the grounds sequestered enough to make a percolation column.

Netphilosopher

#8: Post by Netphilosopher »

sweaner wrote:What if you placed a filter on top of the coffee, then poured the water?
That's an intriguing way to use it.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

I have connected a bicycle floor pump to my moka pot, filled the pot with coffee and hot water and pumped gently to produce cups of coffee. I did it to explore the effect of different grinds on puck permeability but it has produced some pretty tasty coffee, although it is kind of a clumsy. I think the idea of a simple, small, hand powered, low pressure percolation device has merit.

dustin360

#10: Post by dustin360 »

endlesscycles wrote:I've been playing with this idea. I like the Aeropress for the cheap filters and easy cleaning. I don't like it because it is an immersion method which I find creates a less focused, more cloudy brew. In an attempt to tighten up the brew, I've been trying to get more cake filtration using a column of clean water on top that is pressed through settled coffee. I do this by prewetting 15g dry coffee with 50g of water. At 1min, I add 50g water. At 2min, I very gently pour 150g water. At 2:30, I press slowly. I'm certain there is room for improvement on this concept.

Just an idea for those who like easy cleanup and tight, focused brews.

Interesting. This is exactly what I was doing when I gave the areopress another go. Except between each pour, I give the areopress a swirl which allows liquid to pass threw. I tried to mimic close to what I do with kalitas/v60s by pouring in segments. I would say more than half the liquid flows threw before my final pour(which i cap off the top with the plunger). I like longer brews, and with this method I had an amazing cup of coffee at 6 mins.(I tried 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).