A Beautiful WDT Collar Coming this Fall - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Peppersass »

Hasn't anyone here watched the video?

The video demonstrates that this device is completely different from the OE dosing funnel and has very specific objectives that can't be achieved with the OE product. It's clearly intended for professional baristas, the majority of whom dose-and-swipe. In the video, the barista shakes the PF after filling it (to minimize waste), then pulls the funnel off horizontally, which swipes the excess grounds back into the doser.

Without a funnel, the dosing is messy, grounds that miss the basket are wasted, and you have to tap the PF to settle the grounds rather than shaking the PF, which does a better job of distribution.

If use an OE funnel, you get clean dosing, minimal waste and the ability to shake the PF to settle the grounds. But swiping is awkward -- you have to pull the funnel up just enough to clear the basket rim, then rest it on the basket rim and pull it off horizontally. You get the moat of space around the grounds, too, FWIW or not worth.

Alternatively, you can swipe with a finger, with an OE funnel or with no funnel, but the amount will likely be less consistent than if you use a straight edge, like that of the new funnel. Sure, you can use anything with a straight edge, but remember they're combining four features with one device: neat dosing, less waste, ability to shake the PF to distribute the grounds, and a more consistent swipe.

I have no relationship with the people who make/sell this thing, and I never swipe -- I always weigh the dose. But it certainly looks like a good tool for cafes and it's darn pretty too.

hamish5178

#12: Post by hamish5178 »

This looks about as useful as those Scottie Callaghan dosing scraper things.

I would never use something like this in my cafe, an unnecessary extra step, just like the 'chicago chop' or any number of other passé "techniques".
Peppersass wrote:It's clearly intended for professional baristas, the majority of whom dose-and-swipe.
Not sure what cafes you frequent but most any barista that calls themselves a professional will dose by weight or time. Who doses by volume anymore? Certainly not anyone who cares enough to buy a gizmo like this. . .

jerbear00

#13: Post by jerbear00 »

I have yet to see a barista dose by weight in a cafe. Occasionally they weigh the shot but usually it's a haphazard overdose, swipe the excess, tamp, and then pull...

I asked one recently what parameters they use and I was told they use precisely 18gms coffee and 30gm shot weight... Interesting? Since she simply dumped coffee from the doser, swept the excess, tamped, and pulled a shot. I can see telling me that is your goal but how can you call it precise and not weigh or time anything?

IMAWriter

#14: Post by IMAWriter »

Spitz.me wrote:My experience is in line with yours. I don't suffer from bad pours due to using the dosing funnel. I'm surprised it's even been considered an issue.
+1 here as well.
At least when I actually OWNED a machine.
The OE large stainless funnel worked great whilst pouring grind from my Vario-W into my Cremina basket.

Marshall (original poster)

#15: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Actually, I could see myself using one to catch the grounds that sometimes spill over the side at the end of the grind. It could eliminate any mess around the grinder.

Put on the collar. Grind. Tap to settle. Remove collar and tamp.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jamoke

#16: Post by jamoke »

Since this gizmo sits atop the portafilter and is held in place by a spring clip, why can't the inside diameter be large enough to accommodate the tamper? If it could be done, it seems that tamping before removing the collar would be the best method to eliminate spillage.

By the way, I use an OE funnel with my SAMA Export, and it mainly corrals the grinder output into that little 45 mm basket. I still usually lose some grinds between dosing and pulling.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

Martin

#17: Post by Martin »

I'll have to see how it performs head-to-head against my venerable de-bottomed Jo-play cup.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

coryforsenate

#18: Post by coryforsenate »

$80 :shock:

I know that espresso accessories are a niche market among people who drink coffee and that drives up the price, but I can buy a refurbished Maestro grinder for that.

I was expecting something more like $30.