Faema E61 two group with single HX - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fergusstew (original poster)

#11: Post by fergusstew (original poster) »

Hi,

After a long break, I'm making progress again.

I cleaned the brass fittings in Calcinet. They're now very clean, but they've taken on a pink color.

Can anyone tell me why this is?
Should I worry about it?

Thanks,

Fergus.

DanoM

#12: Post by DanoM »

It's the color of copper as it's liberated and redeposited on the brass; tin will not redeposit so there's the difference in color. Not a problem, and if you want them all brass shiny then a polishing wheel or hand brass brush will take the pink copper coating off.
LMWDP #445

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

Normal after a heavy descale. No reason to polish it unless you want the internal bits that no one will ever see to be be nice and shiny.
Dave Stephens

#14: Post by fergusstew (original poster) »

Hi,

I have made quite a lot of progress on the machine.

I'm now cleaning the parts with a sandblaster, using glass bead media.

Once I had done this with the sight glass parts, I discovered what looks like a manufacturing defect.
In the brass assemblies at the top and bottom of the tube, there's a steel ball which has an accompanying seat.

One of the seats is not round, as the pictures show, so the ball would not seal when it's in the seat.
The groove on each side of the seat extends down the interior of the part, on both sides.

I suppose that these ball check valves are designed to damp fluctuations in the level of the sight glass tube, during operation of the pump.

Do you think that I should get the seat machined, so that the ball seats properly, and makes a seal?

Fergus.

#15: Post by fergusstew (original poster) »

I am still working on the machine, but making progress.
I have almost everything clean and I'm actually starting to put pieces together, a great feeling!

I'd appreciate some advice on how to prevent corrosion on the interior of the aluminum gas valve.

I cleaned that white paste off the valve body and rubber diaphragm.

The valve body is badly pitted.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent that recurring, when I put things back together?
It is in contact with boiler water, and I suppose that there is an electrolytic cell between the aluminum and the copper.
I will be at the plater's next week. Perhaps plate the water-exposed aluminum with chrome, nickel, or something else?

Thanks for helping me get this far!

Fergus.