La Scala Butterfly rebuild - Pump runs non stop and no heat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
12steps

#1: Post by 12steps »

Hi,

Ive just finished rebuilding a La Scala butterfly which the previous owner had completely killed.
Pretty sure I got everything back together alright

Powered it on and the pump ran, and kept running. After about two minutes I got a steady stream of water from the grouphead (about 150ml a minute) and no heat or pressure at all. this continued until I shut it down again.

Cycled the power and the same thing.

Pic - How it arrived...and how it is now

Can anyone help with where to start with the troubleshooting?

Thanks

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

Brain box, AKA ECU. You can buy them (relatively) cheap here, http://www.espressoxxl.de/shop/artikel/ ... etail.html or if you need a wiring setup email me at alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au. For some reason PMs seem to get eaten by my spam filtering.

Alan

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I would contact Alan ASAP but, before you do any further troubleshooting, disconnect and tape over the electrical contacts to the heating element.

The pump is trying to fill the boiler and the boiler fill solenoid is not working (lots of possibilities for that) hence the continuous run. As far as leakage from the group . . . that tells me that water is getting past the brew valve and thus that particular valve needs replacement or seal renewal.

Consider yourself lucky that you had no heat otherwise you would have ruined that heating element.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

12steps (original poster)

#4: Post by 12steps (original poster) »

Thanks guys.

Im hoping to do some troubleshooting before looking at replacing the ECU (hate to spend the money only to find something small I had missed)

Alan: just flicked you an email

As for the grouphead, I replaced the springs and valves when doing the rebuild. Guess I'll need to take it apart and double check things..

Cheers, Peter