Walkure pourover - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SimonPatrice

#11: Post by SimonPatrice »

So, how are you enjoying the Walkure so far after that first cup?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#12: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) replying to SimonPatrice »

It's great! I was really thinking that there would be a lot more fines pass through but not that much. I've been alternating between the Walkure and the Kalita Wave Style. There is a difference between the two. The Walkure exposes more body in the brew. Truthfully, I like them both. The only con I would have with the Walkure is that you can't "see" what's going on as you do your pour.

SimonPatrice

#13: Post by SimonPatrice »

I just wanted to share a new experience with this brewer. I had always brewed my coffee at around 204F but lately, I tried going up to 208F. My cups were good before but I always found them a bit shy. If I tried grinding finer, I would get too much bitterness but keeping my regular grind with a higher temp, the acidity is more present, the cup is tastier and I don't get any bitterness. I guess, even with preheating the brewer you lose a good amount of heat to the dispenser.

Also, to keep the water from cooling too fast, I put it back on low heat between pours.

So I think my advice would be, don't be afraid of heat with this brewer it'll reward you.

P.s.: I just hope we are more than 2-3 members with this brewer on HB so that I'm not just talking to myself. :?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#14: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

SimonPatrice wrote:P.s.: I just hope we are more than 2-3 members with this brewer on HB so that I'm not just talking to myself. :?
Me too. I have to confess I use my Kalita more than the Walkure but I enjoy both. The Walkure has more body simply because of the method I believe. Definitely preheating but I agree it's too difficult to keep the filter basket hot. Maybe 'soak' it in hot water first?

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

The only downsides I can see to it besides it's very high cost to buy, is that your grind will be slightly limited in comparison to what you can do with a paper filter. As well, I've been agitating all my brews on the Kalita Wave with a gentle stir after the bloom, I don't think this unit would allow you to stir and break up the strata of settled fines without dumping them right into the cup. And finally, it's as messy as cleaning up a french press or siphon brew.

If I had one of these (it certainly would be fun to play with and test out before hand) I'd want to know if I could stir the initial bloom (mostly likely not), otherwise, I'd be wondering how even the extraction is, even with the 6 holes running water down the sides. It would seem like the concentration gradient of dissolved solids would be greater in the center than towards the outer edges without some sort of redistribution.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/