Re-freeze roasted coffee (Redux) - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
innermusic

#11: Post by innermusic »

beer&mathematics wrote:Anyways, the only reason I got into freezing is to try out the coffees others are drinking on the forum...which implies buying online..which implies buying in large amounts (to justify the shipping costs). :mrgreen:
+1
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

Spitz.me

#12: Post by Spitz.me »

beer&mathematics wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tony. I've been away from my machine all week since I just don't have the time with this new job. But, I am using my Pharos and making V60s with the coffee that I re-froze (I ended up taking it out of the freezer, splitting it up into pre-frozen mason jars, and putting it back in the freezer). Honestly, even though the process took less than 1 minute AND the humidity was greater than 90% at the time (AND HOT), I don't taste any ill effects. Tasted like fresh coffee to me (as evidenced by the large bloom). However, it is my first time trying this coffee so I have no idea what it would taste like if I tried it fresh.

I will try grinding straight out of the freezer this weekend. I hope I like it as much as you, since it seems like the easiest thing to do. Quick question: when you say small mason jar what size are you talking about? I have the pint sized wide-mouthed but that holds more than 4 shots worth--maybe double that.

Ah, this is interesting. Can you elaborate a bit? My preference is for acidic coffees (aka "bright") so if freezing is no good for that type of bean then maybe this freezing experiment is no good for me (and back to roasting small batches in my popper).

Anyways, the only reason I got into freezing is to try out the coffees others are drinking on the forum...which implies buying online..which implies buying in large amounts (to justify the shipping costs). :mrgreen:
I never said, or meant to imply that freezing was no good for lightly roasted SOEs, I was referring to my experience with how they seem to age more quickly than darker roasted beans/blends. Aging might be the wrong word here... While darker roasted beans/blends can be good to pull around 2 weeks, I've had bad experiences with lighter roasted SOEs near the end of the two week mark. Therefore, freezing these types of coffees helps me enjoy them more.

A wise coffee connoisseur once told me that lighter roasted beans 'stale' more quickly, I forget what the scientific reason was that he gave, but it made sense to me at the time. I've always felt that I had a small window of greatness with lighter roasted SOEs than I did for darker he just reinforced my feelings. Maybe Jim has more insight into this?

I have the small mason jars, they're definitely not a pint. I don't know the actual size, but I think they hold about 100g.
LMWDP #670

Advertisement
entropyembrace

#13: Post by entropyembrace »

I'm thinking of thawing and refreezing some 1st wave espresso I bought.

I pretty much just transfered to mason jars and froze immediately before even trying the coffee assuming, since it had no roast date and was from the Italian grocery, it would already be getting old...

I brewed some up in the french press and it was blooming like crazy, also it has a smokey aroma and taste from roasting that this blend normally doesn't have. I'm thinking it's too fresh and obviously won't get rested in the freezer.

re-freezing still makes me uncomfortable but I might try with a small jar to see what happens. Either way I think it needs to come out from the freezer for a bit to rest.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#14: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:I never said, or meant to imply that freezing was no good for lightly roasted SOEs, I was referring to my experience with how they seem to age more quickly than darker roasted beans/blends. Aging might be the wrong word here... While darker roasted beans/blends can be good to pull around 2 weeks, I've had bad experiences with lighter roasted SOEs near the end of the two week mark. Therefore, freezing these types of coffees helps me enjoy them more.
Got it! This clarification is in agreement with my experience as well: after the 12 day mark, lightly roasted, acidic coffees seem to drop off substantially. Good to hear that freezing will extend their lifespan (although, fresh roasted coffee never seems to make it past the 10 day mark when I roast in the popper).

The pint jars hold roughly 160-180g (about 3 batches of 57g in my popper).
LMWDP #431