Quickmill Achille Q&A

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
massjava

#1: Post by massjava »

I was asked by private communication
How are you? We have corresponded before, regarding your Quick Mill Achille.

I just check with Chris (Chris Coffee) and he indicated his units are NOT heat exchanger machines. So I am assuming Chris current stock of Achille units are basically the same as Dan Piette (and your) QM Achille.

I would like to ask your a few questions, if I may:

1. Have you had any issues with temperature instability with your QM Achille? I know Pierre had to return his QM Achille since he had temperature issues with that particular unit.

2. Do you need to do any temperature management (e.g., flushing) in between shots?

3. Are you consistently getting double shots (i.e., two 25mls shots) during a pull?
My Response

I have had the Achille for only 3 weeks now. I have not seen any instability. I am not measuring the temperature, but judging by taste, it is very stable. I have not pulled any sour shots. The only "off" shots were due to distribution problems. I do not need to flush for temperature control. I do a very quick (<1 sec) flush after each pull in order to clean the screen. I can walk up and pull a delicious shot (without flushing) even if the machine has been on overnight. I can also pull 6 shots in a row, all with uniform taste and appearance. I believe that the Achille is as temperature stable as my Mini Vivaldi was.

I always get 40 to 45 ml (including crema) per double with 7 second pre infusion. Total shot times are around 35 seconds. I am dosing at 15 to 16 grams in the stock double basket.

The espresso from this machine is the best I have ever made.

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dpiette »

I was asked the same thing, with two additional questions. One about the pump (since mine is plumbed in) and one about the height.

In the spirit of Michael's answer, I will supply mine here, too. Figuring that information wants to be free and all that:
1. I have not noticed any thermal instability, if it were evidenced by poor quality espresso. I have not noticed a "Thermo-syphon Stall" if that results in a cool group. However, I have not measured the group temperature, either.

2. I do a very short (<1 sec) cleaning flush between shots. But that is only to clean the screen.

3. I haven't measured recently, but when I did I was getting about 44 ml per pull. When I drink the espresso straight (as opposed to in a cappuccino) I usually pull it after about 25 ml

4. Yes, the pump still runs. This is a burden to me. I would like to find a way to bypass the pump, but I have not yet had the energy to do so.

5. The height to the top of the box is about 17.5" - but the new version has a higher rail on the back of the machine for the cupholder than mine does. (That is one thing that is different from mine and the new ones). I would bet that Chris is reluctant to unpack one to measure it, but you should ask him to do so. They are palatalized for shipment, and I think he gets them that way. I am at work, but will check mine, and the photos of the new sheet metal tonight and see if I can figure out if you would be good at 18" - that sounds like a tight fit.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

Advertisement
Abnuceals

#3: Post by Abnuceals »

I'm really jealous of you guys to have a "working" Achille. It has been a tough and sad decision to send back the Achille. It was supposed to be my definitive espresso machine ( yes I know, a definitive espresso machine is a chimera, a kind of unicorn :wink: ). The three months with the Achille were a real nightmare, but I wouldn't say to someone, don't buy this machine. I'm sure all the Achille are not lemons. But If I was in the market for this specific machine, I would demand an unconditional period of testing at home. 3K is a lot of money for an espresso machine and it should fulfill all the requirement of the customer, otherwise, go back to the shop ! I have been very lucky to made business with Joshua at Espressoplanet. He has been a real gentleman and he helped me during all the process of my short ownership. Once he had been convinced himself that my machine was not behaving correctly, he did not hesitate to refund me entirely.

But once again, I'm really sad it ends like this. But you know what, I rediscovered my Mini and I like it more than ever.
LMWDP 389

massjava (original poster)

#4: Post by massjava (original poster) »

I recently ordered from Orphan Espresso; 3942 Astoria Bottomless Portafilter - Complete

I have read on the web that this should work on the QM Achille but it will not fully lock at 90 degrees to the width of the machine.
The attached photo shows it pulled to the right as far as it will go. Is it safe to use like this or should I find one with a better fit.

Abnuceals

#5: Post by Abnuceals »

I had the same. No problem to use it. It was tight and safe. Just a question of aesthetic, nothing more.
By the way, I just realized that I still have it. Another device that I cant use.
LMWDP 389

jptvelo

#6: Post by jptvelo »

Abnuceals wrote:Once he had been convinced himself that my machine was not behaving correctly, he did not hesitate to refund me entirely.
Do you know if your machine is the one currently listed on espresso planet as a 19% off, previously returned "buyer's remorse"? If so, something doesn't quite add up, or there is something missing to the story. If you think so highly of the machine, why didn't you go for a replacement?

(I hope I've not crossed a line here.)

Abnuceals

#7: Post by Abnuceals »

Yes, it is mine. At 3k they don't have overstock. I suspect they don't have another machine than mine (other than their demo). I told Joshua that I would be discreet but not silent on HB. Now, if I was a potential buyer, I would ask what they do to correct the problem. If they did nothing, buy another one. By the way, the machine I sent back is pristine. Not a single scratch, even on the cup heater. I never put a cup on it since I had a hot Mini for that.
LMWDP 389

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter replying to Abnuceals »

Pierre, sorry for your lack of success with the Achille.
Pardon if this question/comment is not germane to your situation:
You mention a "hot" Mini Spaz?
by any chance, were BOTH machines (the Achille and Spaziale) on the SAME 20 amp line?
If so, your lack of performance, if that's what it was might be explained that way.
I apologize for not knowing the specifics of your issues with your Achille.

Beenbag

#9: Post by Beenbag »

IMAWriter wrote: by any chance, were BOTH machines (the Achille and Spaziale) on the SAME 20 amp line?
If so, your lack of performance, if that's what it was might be explained that way..
I hope you are not implying that two machines on one power line might reduce the performance of one or the other ??
Unless you have a VERY weak power feed ( such that the voltage drops dramatically).. it wont have any effect other than to pop the CB or fuse !

Abnuceals

#10: Post by Abnuceals »

IMAWriter, It's OK to ask.
No, they were not on the same line. The 20 amp line was originaly for the Achille, but contrary to what was written on CC's website, the Achille was a 15 amp. I did try the Achille on a 15 and on 20 amp, and it was always far too hot.
At the other side of the kitchen, I always had my Mini, on service (hot) each day from 5:30 am. This is the reason why I never used the cup heater tray of the Achille.
Now, since the Achille has gone, I did move the Mini on the 20 amp line. That's the story.
LMWDP 389