Good Robusta Greens? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

Boldjava wrote:Once we get settled into our new home, I will be grabbing a sack of quality green robusta from the importer in the Fall. It is Indian, from the Sethuraman Estate: http://kaapiroyalecoffee.com/

I found it good enough to drink as a SO in a press pot with lots of frothed milk, though I don't care for the higher dose of caffeine. I played with it post-roast in an espresso blend at a ratio of 5% and the crema was significant.
Good to hear, I want to pick some up this time around.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rgrosz

#12: Post by rgrosz »

mariobarba wrote:A local roaster I buy from occasionally blends some robusta into his espresso blend. He tells me it's good to go a couple of days post roast, but from my experience, two weeks is pretty much the minimum you would want I t to rest.

As for staying fresh, my guess would be months. Most robustas are used as crema/mouthfeel enhances. They will do this quite well for a long time. Just try any Italian espresso blend roasted months ago. Sure the taste won't blow you away since the arabica has staled, but you'll be able to pull a thick and creamy shot.
+1
I read from others that several months is better resting time. I aged mine for 2-3 months, then put it in the freezer for storage.

I bought 4 pounds of Sethuraman robusta from BoldJava last year. Enough to last a lifetime at my consumption rate.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee