Baratza Vario with Ditting burrs vs. Preciso for filter coffee - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nuprin

#11: Post by Nuprin »

The Vario steel burrs over the Preciso, but it's really hard to tell the difference. It could just be the Vario burrs were brand new and the Preciso had some use on them.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#12: Post by jbviau »

Thanks, Mike.

From famine to feast with the comparisons, looks like; here's another vote for the Vario [+steel] from Cole McBride (CM) of Visions Espresso on Twitter (with comments expanding on his opinion below):

Relevant excerpts:

CM: "...I would say Baratza Vario with steel burrs produces one of the best grind quality I've used."

Q: Better than the Virtuoso 586/Preciso? Purely in terms of grind consistency, I mean.

CM: "...in terms of amount of fines I've found that the Vario w steel burrs has less than the other models."

Q: Thanks. Direct comparisons of the Vario [+steel] and the 586/Preciso are hard to come by! Eyeballing? Noticeable in the cup?

CM: "...using a 250 micron sieve. :) plus it's in the cup big time."
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jedovaty

#13: Post by jedovaty »

Which one is the 586?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#14: Post by jbviau »

^^^ The newer Virtuoso with Preciso burrs.

Nuprin

#15: Post by Nuprin »

I would agree the grinds certainly look more consistent in higher ended drip grinders, but it's hard to TASTE a significant difference. You really have to do a blind A/B test to notice the differences. I have an average palate, I'm not a super taster by any means but I'm not bad.

Going from a really cheap grinder - blade or cheap burr to the encore is eye opening but I'm noticing the diminishing returns as you go higher in price with drip grinders. The biggest advantage I see is durability and speed. The Virtuoso/Preciso are a heck of a bargain for the quality. Espresso grinders are another matter however.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#16: Post by jbviau »

More from Cole McBride via Twitter on the Vario and Forté being (in his opinion) superior to the Preciso in terms of fines and taste:

I hope he'll expand on this sort of comparison (5% less fines, etc.) in a long-form post at some point.