Rossi RR45 grind setting adjustment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
soundklinik

#1: Post by soundklinik »

Hi, if you own this grinder, can you tell me please :
1) How many clicks should I adjust the blades once they touch...approximately, coarse setup?
2) How do I tell if the burrs need replacing? Machine has 2004 date printed on the label and I am sure they were never changed.
3) How many seconds "about", does it take to grind 14 grams?

THANK you in advance

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

1: for most grinders this is always different because the settings change when the carriers are assembled after cleaning or burr changes.
2: change them now. If it ever saw commercial use its way past due. Get yourself on a schedule of replacing them every couple years to ensure they work well.
3: heavily dependent on your grind setting. Get a scale and measure it for yourself if you need to be sure. My Mazzers take ~8 seconds at super-fine grinds. My vario is set to grind for two 4.6 second pulses and yields about 16 grams.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
kolu

#3: Post by kolu »

1) For Bialetti I'm currently at 5 clicks (on the 48 click adjustment collar) from zero position but can't tell you anything about espresso because my machine is "being repaired" :)

2) Get your burrs sharpened. You will be amazed how sharper can they be when sharpened by professional service than when they are "stock new". However I can't recommend you any service except form the Czech Republic, sorry.
If I remember correctly the RR45 burrs should be OK for about 300 kg of coffe - count your average per year so you know when to get replacement.

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#4: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Right now on mine I am counting 6 seconds for a single shot and about 12 for a double with decent headroom in the grouphead. I have 2 of these grinders, 1 with and 1 without new burrs. This is the one with the old burrs which I may replace soon just because, and its date is also 2004. My shots and flavors are still pretty good though.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

soundklinik (original poster)

#5: Post by soundklinik (original poster) »

Thank you all for replies...

I was on 4th click and it took like 20 30 seconds for 14-17 grams.

I am now on 6th or 7th click and it takes about 15 seconds and the machine "sounds" better grinding and still makes really fine grind.

The RR45 came from a cafe bar, when, I don't know...

Shot was coming out way too slow- so I started to fiddle with burr adjustment, you know how finicky is Miss Silvia.

@kolu, can you please send me the name/telephone of the sharpening place in Prague?
I have a good friend that lives in Zizkov na Borivojove ulici that could do it for me.

cheers :)

kolu

#6: Post by kolu »

Well it's not in Prague, it's in Novy Jicin. Contact him via e-mail and arrange the details.

Pavel Ther - PANTER
p.ther@seznam.cz, +420 602 772 391