Reasonable Expectation for "Freshly Roasted" Coffee?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
WSH

#1: Post by WSH »

I just received my latest shipment of "freshly roasted" coffee. It was my first time using this particular roaster, a well know popular one at that, and I only ordered 3 lbs. However, 1 of the pounds was roasted 10 days ago now, while the others we're done only 2 days ago. Or, the very next day after I ordered the coffee online.

On the one hand I guess I appreciate their honesty, they could have easily swapped labels and I would have been none the wiser, probably just disappointed in the coffee and written it off. On the other hand, I certainly expected all of the coffee to be roasted on the same day and shipped together. That is after all what they advertise and why I use their service, to purchase the freshest coffee available.

It's not the end of the world but, I wonder how frequently this happens to others?

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Write to them and get what they advertised. It may have been a slipup.
LMWDP #603

john_ertw

#3: Post by john_ertw »

They are probably thinking that the 10 day old beans are properly rested (in their opinion for that bean) and ready to use right away while the fresher stuff will be properly rested when you get to those bags. I have heard from several roasters that their beans are at their peak 7-10 or more days after roasting when used for espresso. That doesn't align with what you read here, but I'm starting to agree with that thinking for some beans that I have used.

Since it sounds this is not what you want I would contact them.

danaleighton

#4: Post by danaleighton »

john_ertw wrote:They are probably thinking that the 10 day old beans are properly rested (in their opinion for that bean) and ready to use right away while the fresher stuff will be properly rested when you get to those bags. I have heard from several roasters that their beans are at their peak 7-10 or more days after roasting when used for espresso. That doesn't align with what you read here, but I'm starting to agree with that thinking for some beans that I have used.
I have never had a roaster send out beans from two different roasting dates. While I agree with John that some beans do hit peak after 7 days (I am thinking of certain Yemeni coffees I have had), it's rare in my experience. In any event, the roaster should not make assumptions about your usage patterns. I'd get a replacement, unless you're happy with the 10-day old beans.
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269

jfrescki

#5: Post by jfrescki »

I had a similar experience recently where I purposely ordered on Sunday, assuming roast and ship on Monday (or at least during the week) like I usually get from most most roasters. I got the beans on Wednesday, but they'd been roasted on the previous Thursday. When I'm ordering 5lb and freezing, I want to freeze as soon as possible after roasting regardless of when they "peak".
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

the_trystero

#6: Post by the_trystero »

I definitely don't mind two different roast dates, in fact I'd be happy with 1 and 5 days post roast, but one from 10 days beforehand is pushing it.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

WSH (original poster)

#7: Post by WSH (original poster) »

.........but one from 10 days beforehand is pushing it.
Glad to hear some feel that way too!

Again, it was only 1 lb, had it been 5 lbs or more, I'm sure I'd be less understanding.

Thanks to everyone who replied, you've confirmed what I had suspected.

BTW: it was a Guatemalan - "Antigua" and so far, very disappointing, have yet to get a decent cup from it.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Antigua is usually pretty good. I usually have a stash of it in the green and roast it myself but as will all coffee, some are better than others. What I have now I light roast, city+, and pull it ristretto. It also makes a good pour-over.
Dave Stephens

the_trystero

#9: Post by the_trystero »

I just roasted my first Antigua of the year today, the Shrub's El Inteligente, I hope it's decent. Did three profiles and blind cupping them tomorrow.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

WSH (original poster)

#10: Post by WSH (original poster) »

An update:

I used GocoffeeGo for this latest shipment and I left them a comment yesterday. Well, in this mornings email, and on the weekend no less, they apologised profusely and have already put an order in for a fresh pound to be shipped ASAP. And, they vowed to get to the bottom of what happened. Can't ask for anything more than that.

So, kudos to GocoffeGo's for their prompt proffesional customer service and commitment to shipping freshest coffee possible!