Bezzera Strega -to pump or not to pump - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#41: Post by espressotime »

daveyb wrote:Alf, I do not disagree with anything you said, but, that takes me back full circle to what I said, which is that the Strega is not a lever machine. it is actually a hybrid, a Toyota Prius if you like. That is not knocking it, merely sub-categorising it!
I am sure there must be people local to you with an L1. Failing that, if ever you are in Newcastle.........
Interestingly enough, and I will not expand as this is the wrong thread, but a good friend of mine visited last week who has an L1 paired with an HG One. I had an HG One but realised that for me and my coffee habit where I often make 12 to 20 shots a day when friends call in, so it is in quick succession, it was not suitable, and I did not really have it long enough to judge it fairly. he brought some Cuban Serrano beans that on his combo were unacceptable to his palate.
I used my Eureka Mythos and the L1 to pull shots with his beans, and I respect his palate above mine, but he was absolutely staggered at the difference in notes and taste.
Strange world at times isn't it?
[anonymized] who posts on this forum too lives in Amsterdam.I seldom visit the city.But I'm sure I'll get an opportunity sometimes,somewhere...

bmb

#42: Post by bmb »

JohnB. wrote: ...My choice was to add a dimmer switch to control the pump & an external group pressure gauge so that I can fill the group fully or partially at any pressure I chose between 2-11 bar. Total parts cost for the conversion is under $100 & I have a machine which lets me easily change p/i pressure as well as brew water temp...
Dear John,
I commented about your dimmer pre infusion mod with some of my colleagues of the Brazilian coffee site (forum.clubedocafe.net), that were discussing the implementation of a similar mod.
They were very interested in your work, and asked if it would be possible for you to please advice on how it's done as well as the material that is needed and where to get it, or point to any links.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by FotonDrv »

Certainly an interesting idea, putting a dimmer switch on the pump for pre-infusions.

Please John, how did you do it? :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by JohnB. »

Adding the dimmer switch is very easy to do. I'll take some photos the next time I have the cover off of the Strega & post something. Adding the gauge is more involved as you need to break into the HX to group copper line. Some info here: Owner experience with Bezzera Strega
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks John!

Cheers,
Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

bmb

#46: Post by bmb »

Thank you John !