07 La Marzocco Linea 3EE Control Box Issue?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dparham

#1: Post by dparham »

Hey All , I have a 2007 La Marzocco Linea 3EE and its in pretty nice condition! just looked like it wasn't kept up on service and then there were some very off problems.... all the dispersion screen screws were broken off into he groups... I repaired that... all shot switches were gone via wire snippers, missing steam knob and other misc things like portafilters and so on... lol ... no motor or pump and power cable cut off .... long story short.. outside of that it looks almost new! hahaha .. and for while since I had to put this project off until I either sold the fiorenzato or finished my kitchen remodeling project... lol now Im at the stage to get this Linea up and running.... all repairs were maid and Im pretty sure my wiring is ok, all 3 groups solenoids engages when matching switch is flipped... however... the left group and solenoid engages but no water... seems easy enough to check and repair... something blocking brew path... will deal with later... the middle group POW PERFECT! flows readily.. maybe even TOO readily.. seems to be quite a bit of water.... i can fill up a coffee cup in about 4-5 seconds.... hmmm.... now to right group... I hear pump again but no flow.... now here is whats puzzling.....

Left group solenoid = 8.0 ohms ( within limits )
middle group solenoid = 8.8 ohms ( high?)
Right group solenoid = 0 ohms ( Dead )

thats one issue... now the other... now this is an EE so very basic.. just a dosing box Gicar Rl30/1e/2c/f but maybe it plays more of a roll than I know? Not just a dumby fill box?... when I turn on machine... when power switch is on 1 the power light is dim.... and the right shot switch light is on and dim... the other switches are dark, now when I select the middle working group shot switch.... it lights up dim including the left group switch lights up dim... weird... and right group light goes off..... now when I select the right group switch to pull a shot, all 3 brew switches light up dimly... strange... lastly, when I set power switch to 2 then of course the boiler light comes on bright orange as expected... but all the group lights still dim and work as before with off lighting... As for overall machine, all heats up and looks great! just confused on this wiring which seems from what I read what little info I can get and following the wiring schematic and pics I've found... seems funny no one has a schematic of the basic EE lines but they have plenty of the AV schematics! hahaha the EE seems very basic and wiring I'm pretty sure is correct, but that control box Im not so familiar with ... (Gicar Rl30/1e/2c/f) what does it control and could this be what is giving me the issues? remember it is a basic EE version not the AV...

jpboyt

#2: Post by jpboyt »

Hey back,
I have a schematic if you want to drop me a note at jpboyt@comcast.net and I'll email it to you.
I'm not sure if I can upload a pdf or not. I see places for images but not files.

jpboyt

dparham (original poster)

#3: Post by dparham (original poster) »

GREAT! Would LOVE IT! Just emailed you! :D

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

James - could you also send the pdf to me. Email is below sig.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#5: Post by dparham (original poster) »

What is odd is that it is completely different than mine! hmmm I even think mine is factory wiring... but mine is pretty new being an 07 and uses the CEME pressure stat so maybe that changed things?

jpboyt

#6: Post by jpboyt »

Hope you got LaMarzocco's permission to post the picture. Fine print in the corner...
jpboyt

#7: Post by dparham (original poster) »

oops! I thought it was ok since you had mentioned you were not able to convert it so be able to put it up online... anyway I pulled it! ;) Ive looked this thing all over and tracked wiring and all seems correct... but ill keep double checking! maybe the power switch is leaking over? Im just not sure... lol

#8: Post by dparham (original poster) »

Well everything is up and running... I still have that light issue but all solenoids are working properly and i think it is impossible to make a BAD espresso with this thing! WOW! Its my first experiences with la Marzocco and im fantastically impressed! My gigleurs were all clogged but i cleaned them as good as possible but had to ream them slightly as they had scaled over... 2 of the groups flow too fast (125ml in 10 sec) and i have already ordered new .6 gigleurs for the groups from EP. Pressures good on machine so the new gigleurs should slow things down a tad... Even with a faster than normal flow, the shots are not bitter and i can get a nice round sweetness in the cup ! Im just impressed that you do not have to work that hard to get a good espresso from this Linea! Once im done with small repairs, ill look into some upgrades! Im using this as my home machine and im even remodeling my kitchen to house this beast! Lol sad thing is, im one block off from business zoned properties!! GO FIGURE! Lol maybe they eill make an exception! Lol

jpboyt

#9: Post by jpboyt »

Maybe someone else can chime in here too, but my understanding of the "gigleur" was to provide the initial restriction to prevent the water from blasting the coffee until the coffee becomes the restriction. There is a fair amount of compressable air that needs to be replaced by non-compressable water. The gigleurs aid in this being a smooth transition.
In my understanding, the coffee is the restriction that sets the shot duration. Faster flow means you need to grind the coffee finer. If the "gigleur" always was the primary restriction, then changing the grind would never have an impact on shot times. Which of course, we all know is not true. Granted I do spend more time following electron flow than water...
jpboyt

#10: Post by dparham (original poster) »

Well i worked out my issue on lights so thats good and my new .6 gigleurs arrived yesterday so ill be installing them monday :D then barista lights and PID for brew group! thanks to Erics!