Bezzera Magica or another espresso machine in $1600 budget...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
samircanada

#1: Post by samircanada »

Hi everyone.
I am thinking of upgrading to a bezzera magica from my rancilio silvia setup.

It seems to have almost everything I am looking for, except maybe for a no burn steam wand and the possibility to plumb in down the line.

Using the silvia I am in the habit of wiping the wand everytime but eventually some milk does get caked on. Are the wands on these more robust machines easier to clean and keep clean?

I am also under the impression that the bezzera Bz10 would be sufficient for my home setup but I am not 100% I like the look of the e61 machine better. Any advice opinion there?

I use a timer for the silvia setup so it wakes up before I do... any reason I couldnt use one for this machine?
Expobar lever premium perhaps?

should I consider another machine in that price range? $1600

ecuew

#2: Post by ecuew »

Hello,

Funny, I actually upgraded from a Silvia to a HX/E61 machine just last week!!!

Up for consideration were the Bezzera Magica ($1600), Quickmill Anita ($1700), Rocket Cellini Premium Plus V2 ($1800) and Quickmill Andreja ($1800). All these are available from reputable Canadian retailers. I'm in the GTA and wanted to see the machines before buying (and also wanted to avoid having no other option that shipping for repairs), so I didn't consider any Expobar machines for that reason.

I ended up with a Quickmill Andreja. I went with it because of the no-burn wands, the ability to plumb in (with kit), and the all-stainless steel construction (no chance of rust!). I got it from Espresso Planet and am quite happy with the experience. Chris Coffee has some great videos available on YouTube if you have a few minutes to spare.

A close second was the Rocket. Morala Trading in Ottawa carries these machines according to their website. It may be worth a trip!

Good luck.

WSH

#3: Post by WSH »

and the all-stainless steel construction (no chance of rust!).
FWIW, Stainless steel is NOT rust proof, only rust resistant. Some grades more than others.

samircanada (original poster)

#4: Post by samircanada (original poster) »

So I pulled the trigger and went for the Magica. I will submit a review for it when I receive it.

regards,

Sam

DR

#5: Post by DR »

Echoing the Espresso Planet recommendation.

I was in the market for a Quickmill QM67, and I looked at all the Canadian online retailers. I tried making contact with a few of them, and I was initially underwhelmed. In the end, Espresso Planet stood out among the rest. Rene, the owner of Espresso Planet, matched some very competitive pricing on the QM67. Their pricing was as competitive, if not more competitive, than those of all the US retailers selling this machine (and I live in the US part of the year, so I've done several transactions with the major online retailers--SCG, Clive, Chris Coffee, Whole Latte Love, etc.).

Josh at Espresso Planet gave a fair bit of his time over the phone and offered some informative direction. He recommended, for instance, that I substitute the QM67 wand with the Anita one for drier steam. I felt like I was speaking with knowledgable staff right from the first phone call. (The owner, himself, answered my first call.)

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

Congratulations on your new machine. May you enjoy it for a long time.
Using the silvia I am in the habit of wiping the wand everytime but eventually some milk does get caked on. Are the wands on these more robust machines easier to clean and keep clean?
Nothing grottier than cooked milk on and/or in the wand. Because because my wife has only one latte in the morning and I take my espresso black I'm able to do this before making my own first shot of the day. However if you're a milky-drink drinker yourself, as part of each session's clean-up:
  • Clean your steaming pitcher;
  • Fill it with enough water to bury the wand as far as you bury it in milk (hot water works best, so use the Magica's hot water tap);
  • Run steam from the wand into the pitcher until the wand is completely clear and clean inside;
  • Wipe the wand with a damp cloth; and
  • Clean your pitcher again.
Please note: This ritual is in addition to, not instead of, discharging steam into and wiping the wand with a damp cloth immediately after every use.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator