Fats in french press "pull" method

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Mihai

#1: Post by Mihai »

This is my first post... :)

I'm experimenting with the pull method on the french press. (basically put the plunger first, then coffee, then water, steep, the pull the most coffee out, then press) It does give a much cleaner cup, I can increase the steeping time, and I can avoid the pressure on the beans (which is a big source of bitterness). The problem that I have is that I also pull out that french press cream that I really like. Even without the cream, overall it's an improvement on the regular french press, but it'd be really nice to get the cream in there :)

How can I do a pull method on the french press without removing the cream?

thanks,

--mihai

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

If it's for the body and or mouthfeel you get, you can consider stiring the grounds a bit more prior to removal, then not pressing down after you've removed the wet grounds. Grinding ever so slightly coarser might help accomplish this as well. Either of these steps though, I'd only employ on a coffee that has abundant bright acidity, something that can stand up and hopefully not be buried under the caramels and less volatile components of the brew. You'd end up with something very flat and boring, but tons of body and "cream".
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

I played with French Press for awhile-- not that much, admittedly, though I did do both push and pull methods and a handful of recipes. When I tried an Aeropress with a Disk Fine filter I couldn't see going back. Lots of richness and oils with a tiny amount of sediment and easier cleanup. Granted the yields are smaller depending on the size of your FP (one mug full for an Aeropress). For higher yields I moved to a siphon. I've got a stainless mesh filter on order for that but again, some nice rich coffee there too and you can get 5 and 8 cup versions.

If you stick with the FP there seem to be hints floating around about breaking the crust and getting the sediment to settle before inserting the plunger the normal way and carefully pouring and leaving the last inch or so in the carafe. I enjoy the richness of a FP but found the Aeropress and Siphon much easier for me to get the richness and lack of sludge.
LMWDP #603

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

I was playing around with this about 4 years ago. There is lengthy discussion here.....

Turn your French press into a French pull
Dave Stephens