Wiping A Portafilter With A Brush After Each Shot?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
OctagonCoffee

#1: Post by OctagonCoffee »

Hi! Since I got an espresso machine, I have been making an espresso a lot. I pull 2-3 shots a day, so I knock out grounds left in a portafilter, and wipe it with a dry cloth after each shot. I discovered that some people use a brush to clean the grounds in a portafilter, like the one in this video. (Someone may know this guy, he is pretty inspiring!).
I also saw some other couple videos with people using a brush to clean left grounds, so I thought I would try the brush instead of a cloth. Using a cloth works fine, but the cloth gets really dirty quickly :(

Does anyone know if there is a brush that is purposely made for cleaning brush? or does he just use some kind of a painting brush?
Thank you!

ds

#2: Post by ds »

Well either cloth or brush is pretty gross especially at home when you can do much better. I rinse basket with water in sink after each shot and use bottomless portafilter so dirt does not accumulate on the walls. If you pull your basket out and are not using bottomless, you will be unpleasantly surprised by how much dirt is underneath.

OctagonCoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) replying to ds »

Thank you for your reply!
Mine is not bottomless yet, but after I finished pulling shots for the day, I always rinse it with the filter basket off so it's clean there!

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u »

LukeFlynn

#5: Post by LukeFlynn »

I just wipe out my basket with a clean bar towel from EPNW designated for that task only, I also have an identical one for milk that I wash every day. Typically, I hold my portafilter under the group when I flush after a shot for a quick rinse. About every 2 weeks I give it a cafiza soak. My portafilters are stainless, so cleaning is pretty easy. However, with chrome plated brass.. if you don't clean often you will start to smell this awful fermenting smell from old coffee oils on exposed brass. I feel like a brush would get in the way.. but definitely use a cloth or something to keep the basket dry for the next shot.

Also, I use a black cloth.. and my machine's 3-way valve pretty well eliminates all soupiness.. so knocking grounds out usually leaves me with a pretty clean basket other than a few grounds, but nothing spectacular.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

ds wrote:Well either cloth or brush is pretty gross especially at home when you can do much better.
+1. You aren't in a shop making shot after shot; wash the thing!

And flush the shower screen and brush and portafilter-wiggle or wipe the grouphead gasket area after every shot ... on a pump machine, backflush as well.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Clint Orchuk

#7: Post by Clint Orchuk »

We use a brush in our shop and in a dry or only slightly damp portafilter, it works better than a cloth. Little dunk in Joe Glo at the end of the day and it's clean. Go to an art supply store and look for a big brush with really stiff bristles.

TheJavaCup77

#8: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Ahhh.. Dritan and his monster Izzo lever... magnificence! :twisted:
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC replying to TheJavaCup77 »

It's not an Izzo, it's a Vibiemme.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TheJavaCup77

#10: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

For god sakes.. you're not joking? :oops:

Vibiemme made levers!? :shock:

Woah... now thats a REAL shock
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.