Why tilt the cup?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DFWcoffee

#1: Post by DFWcoffee »

Fist, I have searched for a written reason and could not find. I am sure it is verbally mentioned in some of the many videos available. However, I am deaf so I am unable to hear a lot of the instruction or explanations given in videos. My question. When pouring milk for the purpose of latte art they tilt the cup and apparently pour into the center of the cup? Why is it necessary to tilt the cub towards the pitcher? I'm sure there must be a good reason, I'm just missing it. Thanks in advance.

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

I'm no latte art expert but I think it just makes it easier to get the spout closer to the coffee where/when you need to.

Advertisement
mike guy

#3: Post by mike guy »

When you start the portion of the pour for art, you want the spout of the pitcher to be as close to the surface as possible. Tilting the cup puts the edge of the surface closer to the rim of the glass allowing the pour to be done from a lower height. Microfoam milk poured high hits the surface fast and breaks the surface tension such that it sinks below the surface. When it's time to add milk to the surface for art, you want at low pour to slow down the milk so it sits on the surface instead. Since the liquid is still well below the rim, you tilt it so the liquid is closer to the edge letting you get right down there with the spout.

This is why when it's time to make a line through the middle of your design, you bring the pitcher back up high so it goes back under the surface and doesn't make a thick line, but pulls the milk down under the coffee.