Which is off, grind setting or tamping pressure?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Ves Paul

#1: Post by Ves Paul »

I am using a Gaggia Baby and an MDF grinder. Illy espresso beans.
I've had this set up for about a week and am still dialing in.

With the grinder on 5 and tamping with considerable pressure, I get a gusher.
With the grinder on 4 and very minimal pressure, I choke the machine.
Could the process be so sensitive that i need to either
A: Stand on the tamper on a "5" grind, or
B: Place the tamper gently on the grounds and blow on it from above on a "4"?

Thank you.

VisionScientist

#2: Post by VisionScientist »

Hi Ves,

Glad to see you joining in the adventure. To answer your question, neither the grind size nor the tamping pressure are likely to be the problem.

There are a few key variables to getting good espresso. However, tamping pressure is not one of them. The trouble you are having is caused primarily by the beans you are using, and secondarily by the grinder.

It's a bit hard to believe, but you cannot get decent espresso from coffee that was roasted more than 2-3 weeks ago. Do not be fooled by the "Good until" date on the packaging. I promise you that you will not make progress with these commercial coffee beans.

Second, the grinder seems capable, but it seems to have discrete steps for grind setting. The best espresso grinders have ultra fine steps or are infinitely adjustable. The good news is that you can get fresh beans cheaply, and you don't (yet) need to replace your grinder.

One way to compensate for having discrete grind settings is to vary the dose (measured to 0.1g) which will allow you to "fill in the holes" in the grinders range.

I hope this helps!

Ves Paul (original poster)

#3: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Thanks, VS.
So I'll heightail it down to the roaster and try some super-fresh beans.
As for varying the dose, what results should I expect when adding or subtracting by 0.1 grams or more?
Do you mind expanding on this method?

VisionScientist

#4: Post by VisionScientist »

Sure thing.

What I meant by 0.1g is that you need a scale which can measure to this accuracy. A scale that is accurate to a gram can be off by up to 2 grams, which has a huge effect on the shot.

I'm not sure how large your filter basket is; mine is a standard double. I typically use 14-16 grams per shot. When I get a new coffee I will start with 15g. If the shot comes out too slowly, then I will reduce the dose by 0.5g at a time until the pour is in the right time range (30ish seconds). Conversely, if the shot is too fast, then I will increase the dose in the same way. My basket will not work with less than about 13g, or more than 17g. Thus, if I have to adjust the dose too far, then I would have to adjust the grind.

When you take both the dose and grind into consideration, you should be able to find a setting/dose combination that gets you a decent pour. The advantage of an infinitely adjustable grinder is that you have more freedom to vary the dose. On your grinder, you'll may find a single grind setting that works, and only be able to fiddle with the dose.

Let me also add, that a bottomless portafilter (e.g., http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/ga ... .btmls.cfm) will make a HUGE difference in your learning curve. They allow you to see exactly how well you prepared and dosed your shot. Plus, they are much easier to keep clean.

Best of luck!

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

There are so many things that might be wrong that is is difficult to say. While Illy is seldom (if ever) recommended here, if it is espresso roast, whole bean, in the can, it should be decent when first opened- certainly good enough to get good extractions. Using too much coffee, not enough coffee, inconsistent distribution, unlevel tamping, and so much more. But tamping force? Unlikely. On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. Get back to us in a week or so when you finish reading it. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by espressojr »

VisionScientist wrote: What I meant by 0.1g is that you need a scale which can measure to this accuracy. A scale that is accurate to a gram can be off by up to 2 grams, which has a huge effect on the shot.
i'll second this. I was just at my girlfriend's place- she had a scale that only measured to the gram (and not to the 0.1 as VS suggested). I was surprised at how the quantity varied for the same weight!! The more you can control the variables, the quicker you can get things dialed in. I think getting a decent scale (I got one from ebay for less than 15.00) is a good value and great investment. good luck, jim

SmackMonkey

#7: Post by SmackMonkey »

For consistent results try using the Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT). Basically stir the ground coffee around in the portafilter with a toothpick before tamping. It's slow but there is no better way I've found to eliminate air pockets and/or clumps.

takeshi

#8: Post by takeshi »

Ves Paul wrote:Illy espresso beans.
That would be my guess.

Ves Paul (original poster)

#9: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

UPDATE: After about three months of owning the MDF and New Baby Gaggia, I've finally gotten the shot I'm after. Twice!

Using a fresh local roasters espresso recommendation for the bean (Hidden City in Oak Cliff, TX), a "4" setting on the grinder, 13.5 g dose, and a bit more tamping pressure than I assumed necessary (20 lbs., maybe), I've got it. Crema, flavor and jubilation.

Now if I can get the frothing down I just may be able to live with myself yet.

Happy Holidays!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#10: Post by EspressoForge »

It's always great to get something close to what you're happy with. Reading about shots around here can get you quite envious, especially if you're just starting out. The problem with a lot of starter espresso set ups is that they are often the most challenging to pull shots.

I would suggest to most new people, to think hard about getting a vintage level machine. Caravel or Peppina are pretty forgiving on grind/distribution and on technique. Most of it is likely that a smaller diameter deep basket is more forgiving than a 58mm basket. But also because you can vary the pressure a bit depending on how good your prep was. They have their downsides as well, but I feel that they can give new espresso users faster success that will motivate them to upgrade to the next level.

For frothing, I'd suggest you practice with cold water in your pitcher, put a single drop of dish soap in it. Then put it into the fridge for a bit. Take out and steam. After a couple seconds it should look like milk, but depends on your machine as to if you need to introduce some air into the "milk" or not. But this gives you good practice without having to waste milk or have milk fly all over the room when you're just getting started.

Most of all, congratulations, Happy Holidays, and have fun! Now that your coffee is good for the Holiday season, you'll probably be getting lots of requests!