When did this espresso extraction go blond? [slow motion video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

At what point in the video did this espresso extraction go blond?

0:40
4%
0:50
31%
1:00
24%
1:10
16%
1:20
16%
1:30
9%

Total votes: 140

ozzyymclaren

#1: Post by ozzyymclaren »

I know there are lots of video showing "when the blonding starts". This is just another one.
I've shoot it with my cameras 50 FPS mode. Then play it with the half speed and this is the result, slow motion espresso shot with Beethoven. :)
I've used Yemen Moka Matari (6 days old). The shot begins at 8 seconds. The shot stopped at 28s seconds.
And the question... When? :)

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Nice job on the video! It really puts my When did this espresso extraction go blond? video to shame. I've taken the liberty of adding a poll to this thread.
Dan Kehn

ozzyymclaren (original poster)

#3: Post by ozzyymclaren (original poster) »

Thanks Dan for your comment on the video. Actually the camera did the job. :) It's not the cameraman, its the camera!

kahvedelisi

#4: Post by kahvedelisi »

Great job Ozan and I "insist" it's the cameraman :D

Anyways, first time I saw this video I thought it's 53rd second (and beyond) where blonding starts. So I voted for 50seconds instead of 1 minute.
Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!

CoffeeOwl

#5: Post by CoffeeOwl »

I voted 1'10'', I think it's just slightly earlier then the real blonding starts.

And yes - the video is great! and the music... ;-)
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

barry

#6: Post by barry »

two transient channels at :56 & :58, true blonding doesn't start until past 1:10

Psyd

#7: Post by Psyd replying to barry »

I agree with Barry on this one, there were a coupla spurts, but I pulled the trigger mere seconds before you did, and called it good up until 1:20-22 on the video. I'm off to pull the last of the Toscano I snatched from murky. This is a bad video. Makes me do things I oughtn't ; >
Nice looking pull!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I voted for 1:30 and am surprised by the number of 0:50 votes (35%). Evidently some cut it off the extraction at the first hint of a blond streak, but I also pay attention to the viscosity of the pour. By my eye, the stream was looking thick as the timer sailed past the 1:10 mark, though the slow motion may have helped.

Yemen sure makes for nice looking pours... sadly it's been over a year since I've drank any. :(
Dan Kehn

IronBarista

#9: Post by IronBarista »

I like the song. The whole time watching the video I was envisioning A Clockwork Orange my fellow droogs.
LMWDP #011

ntwkgestapo

#10: Post by ntwkgestapo »

I've got to agree with Dan here... 1:30 (the end of the video). NICE looking extraction (and great music! :D).
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164