What to do about overly sour shots

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
gentalmantinbasher

#1: Post by gentalmantinbasher »

When an espresso bean is quoted as saying citrus notes. Exactly how sour should this make the shot? Ive got a new bean that no matter what I do has a not overpowering but very distinctive sour taste. This is the first bean I've had this problem with and the only thing that I've changed on my machine is the grind size. I messed up and was in a hurry when i grabbed them and didn't get the shop to pour me a shot to know what I'm actually looking for. Im using a Breville 870XL single wall double shot, 18g in 34g out, 35sec extraction time including pre infusion, all in the upper espresso pressure.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

If an espresso blends is too citrus-y, I start by raising the temperature by 2°F. Though I rarely set the temperature above 202 to 203, the roaster on our last Favorite Espressos 2017 recommended a blazing 204°F. It was a fruity Ethiopian single origin; the temperature bump was a good call. Don't be afraid to move the temperature up/down in one large increment, i.e., avoid the temptation to move in 0.5°F increments. If, for example, your current temperature is 200, move it straight to 204 and halve the difference to 202 if that removes the sourness but leaves no acidity.

How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste offers more guidance. Keep in mind, the instructions in that Espresso 101 are about adjusting the taste balance to your liking. My guess is after bumping the temperature, you'll probably want to slow the pour down to reduce the acidity.
Dan Kehn

CorvusDoug

#3: Post by CorvusDoug »

Hey Jesse,

Try getting a longer shot - something like 18g->45g or even higher. Most of the coffees I work with are super bright and citrusy and sweeten up at that 2.5x and higher ratio. Right now we have a SO red honey Costa Rican on that we're pulling at 18g in and 55g out. That's unusual, but don't be afraid to think outside the box... Good luck!
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO