What really is a cappuccino?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Joco

#1: Post by Joco »

Ok, so I am fairly new into this home barista thing. But I have gone full-hog into it! With a Duetto 3 and a SuperJolly I have set off to learn as much as I can about being the best home barista. This thirst for knowledge has made me visit every coffee shop I can while away on business (luckily I spent a few weeks in NYC) where I experienced Everyman Espresso, Stumptown, Joe Pro, Ports, etc. Plus I have experienced places in DC, VA and NC. But one thing that puzzles me.... cappuccino??

I know traditionally its served "1/3 espresso, 1/3 foam, 1/3 steamed milk", and usually appears layered, but while in NYC, I noticed that all of the above serve a cappuccino much like a latte, that is not layered and the milk incorporated into the drink. Basically my interpretation is that a cappuccino is being served as a small latte with of course less milk.

So what do you call a cappuccino and how do you ask a coffee shop what their preparation method is?

Thanks,
Joe

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

James Hoffman's blog answered this question a few years back in The Cappuccino:
Jimseven wrote:Our aversion to foam [in cappuccinos] has created our own worst customers. Every barista I know hates making "dry" cappuccinos. 9 out of 10 people who order one, when asked why they want a dry cappuccino, explain that they are sick of getting drinks that are basically caffe lattes with a little chocolate on top. The only way to get the amount of foam that they want (that they have found) is to order the cappuccino dry. If you don't believe me then ask them yourself. (Not in an accusatory way, but be genuinely interested and they'll be happy to tell you.)

So - my current cappuccino recipe. Be warned, it is detailed (though with tolerances).

- Brewed into and served in a 5oz (150-160ml) bowl shaped porcelain cup.
- 15 to 17g of espresso
- 80-90g of milk, steamed to around 50-55C.
- The rest should be creamy, marshmallowy foam with bubbles so small they're pretty much invisible.

I'm not going to label this "the perfect cappuccino" because that sort of thing makes me angry. It is just what I am really enjoying and I'd be interested to know what people think and what they are enjoying too. I suspect some people might take my thoughts about "traditional" cappuccinos above as an attack on their menu/store/brand/business. They are not.
I haven't measured as accurately as James; my recipe is 5 to 6 ounce cup, one double espresso weighing around 22 grams (i.e., brew ratio around 70%), microfoam layer at least 1/2" ideally 3/4" thick fully integrated with crema. If the texture is correct, the top layer will be undisturbed until the last sip.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Dan's definition is pretty in line with a competition cappuccino which requires a minimum 1cm layer microfoam (=0.394in), except a comp' cap' is only a single shot.

Agree way too many barista in production make the foam too thin in order to have sharper poured art in a cappuccino resulting in I'd agree a small 5 to 6oz latte not a cappuccino.
Mike McGinness

LaDan

#4: Post by LaDan »

Joco wrote:...... I know traditionally its served "1/3 espresso, 1/3 foam, 1/3 steamed milk", and usually appears layered, but while in NYC, I noticed that all of the above serve a cappuccino much like a latte, that is not layered and the milk incorporated into the drink. Basically my interpretation is that a cappuccino is being served as a small latte with of course less milk. ......
Thanks,
Joe
Here's the first problem with that famous definition. For a cappuccino in a 6oz cup to be 1/3 espresso, the espresso needs to be a lungo. About 60g (2oz) espresso. "Nobody" does lungo any more. They all do ristretto or normale. So forget about "the drink of thirds" as they call it. It does not exist, practically. The best you can hope for is the 1/3 of foam. The rest is espresso and milk.

1/3 of a cappuccino cup of foam is what they have said above, in inches. Consider that the cup, either bowl or tulip is narrow at the bottom and wide at the top, the 1/3 will be less than actual 1/3 of the height. It will be less than that in height, in order to be 1/3 in volume. Which makes what is posted above 100% accurate.

Joco (original poster)

#5: Post by Joco (original poster) »

That's the thing. All the shops in NYC are not serving any foam on top. The milk is all incorporated into the espresso, just like a latte.

SlowRain

#6: Post by SlowRain »

LaDan wrote:Here's the first problem with that famous definition. For a cappuccino in a 6oz cup to be 1/3 espresso, the espresso needs to be a lungo. About 60g (2oz) espresso. "Nobody" does lungo any more. They all do ristretto or normale. So forget about "the drink of thirds" as they call it. It does not exist, practically. The best you can hope for is the 1/3 of foam. The rest is espresso and milk.
I guess as home baristas we can choose smaller cups. It may be harder to find the drink-of-thirds in cafes, though.

da gino

#7: Post by da gino »

Also quoting James Hoffman, but this time off of HB itself, I find it interesting that he points out that this idea that a cap should be 1/3 espresso may well be a grammatical misunderstanding he says
* I own a lot of books on coffee, and all descriptions of cappuccino from about 1960 to 2000 with very few exceptions describe capps as:

A cappuccino is a single shot of espresso, mixed with an equal amount of foam and milk.

Which could mean 1:1:1, or it could mean 1:2:2 (about where its at in reality), or even 1:3:3 but I don't think that would taste good.
Below is the thread...

What constitutes a 'true' cappuccino?

Joco (original poster)

#8: Post by Joco (original poster) »

So why don't shops just offer small and large lattes and forget about calling them cappuccinos?!?!

LaDan

#9: Post by LaDan »

Joco wrote:That's the thing. All the shops in NYC are not serving any foam on top. The milk is all incorporated into the espresso, just like a latte.
Would you prefer it if they would pour the microfoam into the cup up to about 3/4" from the top, and then just scoop some dry white foam with a spoon to lay on the top 3/4"???

sonnyhad

#10: Post by sonnyhad »

Nobody does a lungo for a cap? but how bout a double? 16-18 grams of coffee beans?
LMWDP 437