What is good training book for barista like franchise training ?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Provider

#1: Post by Provider »

Hello friends ;
My friend work at Caribou coffee , he told me that they have good training book for new team member , this book is not allowed to go out (copyrighted) .
i need to find a book in bookstores like this training .
-i like it to be high quality training .
-limited procedures for each member of coffee shop .
-tell every member of their responsibilities .
-how to advise the guest
-how to educate the guest
-how to greet the guest ( talking , eye contact )
-how to solve the problems
-how to announce the beverages
-how to keep the store clean
- how to suggest selling for guest
- how to open conversations with the guest
- how to make drinks

and so ....

friends , i know that the big franchise like starbucks or caribou have great training and a text books .
i like to find books in bookstores teach me and my baristas like this high and social training
and how to behave with everything happened .

can you suggest such book for me to buy it ? where can i find such good books ?

CRCasey

#2: Post by CRCasey »

Well...

Rule one would be to have fresh beans.

The second rule would be to have a clean grinder.

The third rule would be to have a fresh and scrubbed machine.

Once you do the basics then you tamp, dose, and pull. Again and again. But keep 1-3 in mind.

Then you would work on how the franchise would keep the blighted souls behind the counter up while doing the Barista type things at minimum wage.

With people that give them tips that a push button monkey would earn.

Ooh did I forget to mention smile? Forget it, get the espresso right and frown at everyone. Who cares.
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

For people who really like coffee, Caribou, Starbucks, and other chains, are not good models for a high quality cafe. They use second rate coffees, let them go stale, and prepare them in automated and sub-optimal ways -- all in the quest of coming up with some by-the-numbers procedure that they can replicate endlessly over the globe. Cafe franchises are not real cafes, but an endlessly replicating virus of mediocrity. Good cafes, run and staffed by people who actually like and know coffee, are the antidote to this.

Scott Rao has a good recent book on espresso technique. Bellisimo is a respected source of consulting and training for would be cafe owners.
Jim Schulman

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

Provider wrote:can you suggest such book for me to buy it ? where can i find such good books ?

Yes, check the SCAA online bookstore: http://members.scaa.org/store/default.aspx.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Provider (original poster)

#5: Post by Provider (original poster) »

Thank you all friends for great information .