WDT: Needle Size

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SchillerM

#1: Post by SchillerM »

I was wondering what diameter the dissecting needles you guys use are? I stole my wifes cake tester (http://tinyurl.com/pddwdum) and it has been working well. Its approx .040", for reference the toothpicks we have are about .080"

I also use the tester to clean out the chute on my Super Jolly. A week ago I wasn't paying enough attention and got too far in while the motor was spinning down. One of the sweepers grabbed it and sucked it in about 1.25". After taking the lower burr holder out I was able to free it. I was quite annoyed at what had happened, but after looking at the 45-ish degree bend that it put in it I decided it might be handy. After using it bent for the past week I quite like it. Easier to get the grinds out of grinder chute, and easier angle to WDT with. Seems to allow me to break up clumps faster.

Matt

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Use whatever works. Something as simple as a straightened paper clip works fine. Thin piece of wire with a sticky label wrapped around the top for easy finding and grabbing has worked for me for the last 3+ years.

I don't need anything longer than 3-4 inches.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

Some people use chopsticks! I find that a thin straightened paperclip works better than a large straightened paperclip. Smaller might even be better. I would recommend sticking a needle or any other thin piece of metal into a cork and using that.
LMWDP #353

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Mine is about 0.047" in diameter, with a pointed tip, but the metal needle that's stuck into the wooden handle is only about 1.25" long.

I picked up mine locally at a science shop, the wooden handled one with the straight needle. The price was right and I was also picking up some other items, rubber stoppers with holes and glass tubes that I used to make a flow restricted pour spout out of a standard tea kettle.

http://www.sanjosescientific.com/servle ... dle/Detail

I use it to unclog holes in my sink sprayer, I guess I can use it as a cake tester too now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax »

My WDT tool has always been a dissecting needle. However, a couple of years ago I pulled the (rather thick) needle from mine, cut and sanded down the wooden handle, and stuck the finest sewing needle I could find (0.025") into the end of the tool. I find that this does a better job of stirring-more clump-breaking and less grind redistribution. That said, it does seem like a pretty second-order variable and I use it rarely these days, as it doesn't really help much with the K10's output.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Grant

#6: Post by Grant »

I use an old wine cork with 4 or 5 sewing pins stuck in...the kind the little flat knob on one end. I grind into a cup before a quick stir, and then dump into the PF....works great..and I have a REAL clumpy grinder.

G
Grant

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I started with a sewing needle in a cork, but I like the longer wooden handle of the dissecting needle. I rarely use it for stirring grinds, but got it to try out the WDT for myself. I don't really feel the need with my Vario.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

allon

#8: Post by allon »

I don't WDT often but when I do, I use a length of stripped solid (not stranded) copper 24AWG telephone wire, with an unstripped end curled into a loop as a handle.
LMWDP #331

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

According to Wikipedia, 24 AWG wire is 0.0201" in diameter.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DanSF

#10: Post by DanSF »

I stole a turkey trussing needle a couple thanksgivings ago and have never looked back:

http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Turkey-La ... 001B14OC2/