WDT and precision screens

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sprin001

#1: Post by sprin001 »

Just updating on my espresso adventures and using this knowledge base to improve my shots. Im now using the r58 and ceado e5p - I experienced improvement in my consistency in upgrading machines but still was not getting the shots I wanted. After spending all that $, I found that a 50 cent WDT (paperclip and cut the bottom off a styrofoam cup) significantly improved my shots. I saw my naked pf shots improve drastically with WDT. I then upgraded to a "precision screen" and my shots are now having channeling issues. Any ideas why the precision screen would cause channeling when the standard e61 screen didnt?

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I never noticed a difference when I made the switch. Make sure there aren't clogs.

EquinoX

#3: Post by EquinoX »

Sprin001 ,
I've used precision screens on a multiple machines mainly because some screens provided were subpar in quality. I have noticed a better dispersion with some, but really only a small taste/quality difference. (In my opinion). However a I did find a huge difference in ease of cleaning do to the particulates that can pass back threw. I can see no reason why switching to a precision screen would cause channeling. I do what brianl suggested and look for clogs. Also make sure it's the correct size, and not damaged or bent. If you have no luck, (and still have the old screen) try the old one and see what happens just to eliminate some variables.
Good luck!

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

Are you also using a different coffee. Quite honestly, the coffee itself makes a huge difference in how easy it is to work..

Also, is it the same exact height? If for some reason it's deeper in the basket you may need to reduce dose.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

My experience with a precision shower screen is that it does get dirty quickly. While this might not affect the pour or taste, I do clean it almost daily and check the 'rainfall' regularly, without a portafilter in the group for any deviation from absolute 'clean'.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

If you went from a standard E61 screen to an IMS 200 you will have a little more headroom if you've kept the dose the same. I don't see how that would cause issues but that & the IMS screen staying clean longer are the biggest differences.
LMWDP 267

sprin001 (original poster)

#7: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't change coffees initially, but I have now. I am using stumptown mountain holler and I have been able to better dial it in. I think the precision screen was just exposing my limitations in distribution and tamping as I've been focusing on those and now channeling seems to be minimal. I don't know that I would highly recommend the precision screen though - my "in the cup" results haven't significantly improved and may have even diminished.
BaristaBoy E61 wrote:My experience with a precision shower screen is that it does get dirty quickly. While this might not affect the pour or taste, I do clean it almost daily and check the 'rainfall' regularly, without a portafilter in the group for any deviation from absolute 'clean'.
It absolutely gets dirtier more quickly. I find myself wiping it down and brushing after every use.
brianl wrote:I never noticed a difference when I made the switch. Make sure there aren't clogs.
I have been making a better effort between shot to ensure the rainfall is in full effect. I think this has helped significantly in improving my consistencies.

Thanks all -JS

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bill33525 »

May want to check the water debt of the R58 as rotary pump machines produce strong water flow very quickly. Changed my Vetrano 2B EVO group jet to .5MM [Available @ Espresso Parts] helped slow down the attack on the puck. https://www.espressoparts.com/e-61-gicl ... mm-orifice

Additionally, use an AeroPress filter on the top of the puck as well. The top filter paper helps keep the screen clean. Finally, setup the pump micro-switch so the brew lever can activate the water flow before the pump energizes. Can lift the brew handle and allow water to gently flow into the puck before activating the rotary pump.

All this greatly reduces the chances of channeling.