Using a scale for espresso, what should i be aiming for

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
amagad

#1: Post by amagad »

trying 18g of espresso and aiming for 36 out, i get at 36g in about 18s, should i grind finer or let the timer roll until 25-30s?

1yay1

#2: Post by 1yay1 »

Why not try both? 18s is pretty fast, though

Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

I would not pull more than 36g out, tends to get much more bitter.

You're using a Sette, right? I would go 2 micro clicks finer

Nick Name

#4: Post by Nick Name »

If your aim is to get 36g out in about 25 seconds and now it comes out in 18 seconds the obvious thing is to grind a little finer (if you don't wish to updose). If you let the shot run longer you'll get a longer (blander) shot which is ok, if you like it that way.

The important question always is though: how does it taste?

If it's great the way it is, then it is great.
Or is it sour? Bitter (not likely)?

There is a very good post on the subject: Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

TxHr

#5: Post by TxHr »

amagad wrote:trying 18g of espresso and aiming for 36 out, i get at 36g in about 18s, should i grind finer or let the timer roll until 25-30s?
When I first started I was so fixated on time. Time is the most fungible of all extraction parameters. The general rule of thumb for a starting point is to dose the basket with the recommended weight and double the dry weight to determine extraction yield weight (i.e. 18g dose, 36g yield). Taste your espresso and make adjustments accordingly. There is a ton of info on the site for adjusting for taste. For now, I recommend putting the timer away and focusing on weights/ratios. Once I realized time was just a reference to duplicating a previous shot, my shots improved considerably.

Brandon

h3yn0w

#6: Post by h3yn0w replying to TxHr »

I don't think you can completely ignore time, but I would shoot for a range rather than some sort of precise time. Say ... some target ratio in 25-35 seconds.

18 seconds is likely too fast IMO and I would grind finer.

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

The scale is most useful for a brew ratio. It helps keep things consistent. Choose a brew ratio, for example 1:1 and then stick to it while playing with your dose. Change the grind to change the flow rate. The total time it takes to hit your target brew ratio is simply a product of the flow rate. The flow rate will impart some of its own characteristics to the taste of the shot. Don't be afraid to refer back to Espresso 101 when deciding what to change next. If you can't get the results you want at a certain brew ratio then change your brew ratio and start over.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?