Ultra rich crema

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
aerojrp

#1: Post by aerojrp »

Hi,
I've been searching all around this forum trying to understand the factors that affect crema, but haven't found anything with the details I'm looking for. While living in Italy, I fell in love with the smooth, thick flavor (and thick Crema) of Neopolitan espresso. Now that I'm living in the US, it seems I'm on my own to make something that tastes like what I got used to since no coffee bar I've found comes even slightly close. I've picked up a Quickmill Alexia and have finally been making great espresso's, but I'm still struggling some with the crema. The stock basket with about 15g of finely ground coffee gives me the closest thing to what I'm looking for, but it is running restricted and is really only making a single. That in itself doesn't make me unhappy, but it does make the Italian wife unhappy when there is not a second cup for her! Now I'm trying to make doubles with the same result and am struggling. I have the full range of VST baskets, 15, 18, 20, and none are producing what the stock basket will do. If I keep the same grind, the flow is way to restricted, and if I make the grind coarser to help flow, the crema decreases. Decreasing the loading in the 15g VST didn't help, but I havent tried the same in the 18G basket yet. I've also tried a few different beans, but the one that produces great results with the stock basket still seems to be my best bet. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Advertisement
keno

#2: Post by keno »

Have you tried any robusta? Apparently that's what Italian espresso blends use to get more and longer lasting crema.

You might take a look at this:
http://www.espressovivace.com/archives/ ... e/LC10.pdf

aerojrp (original poster)

#3: Post by aerojrp (original poster) »

I have seen reference to robusta... but I don't remember seeing any good recommendation of a high quality one to get here in the US. Anybody with suggestions?

I looked into the site of one of my wife's favorite Neopolitan blends, Passalacqua
http://www.passalacqua.com/miscele_eng.htm
and they do indeed talk about 30% robusta, the rest Aracica. Interesting. This may also finally answer one of the other things I noticed, where the Neopolitan coffee was much creamier and I thought better than what I tried in the rest of Italy. I always thought it was the lever machines, which are much more prevalent there.

That said, I still think I can do something more with the coffee I have now since the stock basket does produce a great result... now how to translate that into a double?

Thanks,

Jim

keno

#4: Post by keno »

A few other things that help with crema. Use fresh coffee. Crema is produced when the oils in the coffee are emulsified at high temperature and pressure in the presence of the CO2 gas in the beans. So freshly roasted coffee that contains more CO2 will produce more crema than stale coffee. Natural or dry processed coffees also tend to produce more crema and body, which is why Italian espresso uses natural processed Brazilian as its base. Finally, pay attention to pressure and temperature. If the temp is too hot or cold the crema will be thin. Pressure should be around 9 bar.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#5: Post by RapidCoffee »

aerojrp wrote:I have seen reference to robusta... but I don't remember seeing any good recommendation of a high quality one to get here in the US. Anybody with suggestions?
Yes: in general, avoid it. Robusta is not needed for crema. High quality, freshly roasted arabica beans should pour as 80-90% crema (e.g., see here and here).
aerojrp wrote:I looked into the site of one of my wife's favorite Neopolitan blends, Passalacqua
http://www.passalacqua.com/miscele_eng.htm
and they do indeed talk about 30% robusta, the rest Aracica.
I doubt you are getting freshly roasted beans. Try one of the roasters on this list.
John

#6: Post by aerojrp (original poster) »

I am getting fresh coffee from a local roaster, Baltimore Coffee & Tea. While not on the list, they do a pretty good job, and I credit the fresh coffee for getting as good a result as I am. Without any shipping involved, I know it's really fresh.

I wouldn't consider ordering the Passalaqua, but I'll certainly grab a kilo or so on my next trip to see how it does with my equipment. I also have a sister in law who is running a few bars over the summer in the Naples area and I might be able to get her to ship me some of what they use.

It's not to say I'm not getting any creme... probably by most accounts it's very good, and the coffee itself still is very good. In fact, it's similar to anything I've had in bars from Rome and north of there... I'm just not getting the ultra rich crema I can get in Naples.

Jim

allon

#7: Post by allon »

aerojrp wrote:I am getting fresh coffee from a local roaster, Baltimore Coffee & Tea. While not on the list, they do a pretty good job, and I credit the fresh coffee for getting as good a result as I am. Without any shipping involved, I know it's really fresh.
Baltimore Coffee and Tea used to be good, but last time I tried them either ther quality had slipped or my standards had gotten significantly higher. I used to use their "Espresso Milano", but last time I tried it it wasn't nearly as good as my home roasts.
LMWDP #331

Advertisement

#8: Post by aerojrp (original poster) »

Espresso Milano is the blend I am using. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've tried so far (which isn't saying much since I'm recently new to the serious side of all this). I'm not up to the level of roasting my own beans, but if there are better options out there, I'm up to trying them. What would be a recommendation for someone who only drinks straight espresso, is looking for lots of crema, and is used to Italian flavor profiles?

Thanks,

Jim

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

Vivace Espresso Dolce fits the bill - at least, it did the last time I tried it. It was reviewed on H-B in 2010.
John

coryforsenate

#10: Post by coryforsenate »

Try Unicorn Blood from Dark Matter. I've had it at the Star Lounge in Chicago. It has some robusta beans blended in with the arabica. Spicy and nutty shots, really thick.

http://www.darkmattercoffee.com/unicorn ... resso.html