Trouble forming small bubbles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Thecraw

#1: Post by Thecraw »

I have had my isomac for four years and its worked well up until recently.
I am having trouble frothing the milk. For some reason small bubbles form and do not last. They pop before I add the milk to the coffee. I have tried different milks, and techniques, but end up with a variation of the same problem. The bubbles are not the usual micro bubbles, nor are they large?

What is the issue likely to be? :roll:

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

What kind of steam tip does your machine have? Which model of Isomac is it?

Some tips are hard to use and make microfoam with, especially if the holes are too large. You might try plugging one of the holes with a toothpick to slow down the steam. You could also try switching to a different style of tip, like one with smaller holes, to give you more control.

You can also try practicing with the soap and water trick.

Learning latte art with steamed soapy water [video]
Lock and load!

Thecraw (original poster)

#3: Post by Thecraw (original poster) »

Hi beezer
Thanks for that. I'm not sure which model isomac. I can't see any markings on it at all. It's a single boiler so I make the milk then do the coffee after. The steam wand has two holes
It's a new issue so suspect there is anew issue. One other post suggested that the steam is not high enough pressure? Per haps I need it to build up more?
I have been very good at milk in the past , so am a bit bamboozled? Could the milk in mid summer (here) be different?

Tks

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

If it is a single boiler, double use (non heat exchanger) it will be a Zaffiro. If everything has been good and it suddenly started to go flat it could be the milk. Some dairies also add an anti foaming agent to the milk to keep it from frothing up during processing. You could try a different brand of milk. Another possibility could be detergent in your steaming pitcher. If you have the slightest amount of residual dish soap in your pitcher it will also kill the foam. In most cases I would just suggest stretch in the milk longer before you plunge the tip to whip up the whirlpool.
Dave Stephens