Tried to follow video from WLL, failed. What did I do wrong?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
osel

#1: Post by osel »

Tried to do exactly what's in this video: failed spectacularly!
I have a ECM PID Classika, they got Classika PID 2. For grinder I used Helor 101, they got Forte. I have that same tamper they use in the video. I set temperature like they did at 201, and measured exactly 16 grams of Super Crema. Their shot glass isn't marked, but it looks like an ECM 3 oz glass, so they are making a 2 oz shot it looks like. I got it at exactly 25 seconds as well on first attempt. (Set my Helor to 18 dots)

I didn't get any visible channeling/holes in my puck. But the taste is simply sour.

halp?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Sour can be too low temperature, light roasted beans, too coarse grind, not enough coffee, or any infinite level of combinations of these as well as other factors. What we need is a video from you and more details. How long have you been making espresso? Just because one has a stove and a slab of beef doesn't mean one can make a good steak. But it also does not mean one cannot learn.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

How do you know you failed? What if the shot in the video tasted sour? Then you did exactly the same thing.

In fact, just watching their pour to me looks very fast and I would expect it to be on the sour side.

Also who knows what they brewed? Normal? Lungo?

They don't say how much the beverage weight was so we don't know. But I would guess (a lot of guessing) it was a lungo that ran too fast
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

osel (original poster)

#5: Post by osel (original poster) replying to RyanJE »

Thank you for the tip. That's exactly what I was suspecting also. I didn't get to taste their shot... And it looked too fast pouring to me.

it looks like they are making 2 oz or just under (that shot glass is 3 oz) They do standard Italian Doubles in those videos 1/3 ratio. at 16 grams in they are getting out ~48 grams out which is about 50-55 ml with crema. In extremely crema-ish brands like Maromas Orphea you can get 60 or even 70 ml, more than 2 oz at 45 grams. I noticed that the stronger 1/2 and even 1/1 is popular on this forum. I guess people here love their ristrettos.

Anyways, I ground a bit finer to slow down that pour, and you're right, it improved a lot right away!

RyanJE

#6: Post by RyanJE »

osel wrote:Thank you for the tip. That's exactly what I was suspecting also. I didn't get to taste their shot... And it looked too fast pouring to me.

it looks like they are making 2 oz or just under (that shot glass is 3 oz) They do standard Italian Doubles in those videos 1/3 ratio. at 16 grams in they are getting out ~48 grams out which is about 50-55 ml with crema. In extremely crema-ish brands like Maromas Orphea you can get 60 or even 70 ml, more than 2 oz at 45 grams. I noticed that the stronger 1/2 and even 1/1 is popular on this forum. I guess people here love their ristrettos.

Anyways, I ground a bit finer to slow down that pour, and you're right, it improved a lot right away!
I am not sure the forum is currently toward ristretto as it really comes down to play more in what type of coffee, roast and machine (i.e. Lever, flow profile, no profiling)..

Pick a brew ratio and Start pouring your shots directly into a cup on a scale and shoot for the same g in and same g out every time. Then make a few shots, one taking 25 sec, one taking 30 and then one taking 35 and taste the differences. Timing is more of a diagnostic than it is control.

Forget about volume...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....