Too much brew pressure? or is it my technique?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
djmogovan

#1: Post by djmogovan »

Hello all,
After buying this Faema due along with a grinder and sitting in my garage for 2 years (since I didn't have a 220v pulled at the time), I finally hooked up my machine.

I recorded a video of me pulling a shot with the machine. Maybe along the way you'll catch something i'm doing wrong and tell me what I can do to improve.

I feel like the machine is pushing out 15bars instead of the "appropriate" 9bars for espresso. Or maybe my gauge is just off?

This shot happened to pull out some crema on top, but I feel it dissipates afterwards leaving it to look like an awful shot.

It tasted a little bitter maybe towards the acidy side. But it may be the Starbucks Italian roast i'm using (don't judge me haha :oops: :wink: )

any tips? and yes.. i'm ordering a tamper soon haha

thanks! any help is appreciated

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

You will need to get some fresh coffee before any sort of advice will have value. Starbucks is stale. If a bag of coffee does not have a "ROASTED on" date, then you must assume it is stale. Find a local roaster or order some fresh roast online.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I agree w/ Randy's comments about the coffee BUT, still, simply adjust the pressure adjustment screw on the pump to read 9.0 bar during a free flow through an empty portafilter (PF).

The gage fluctuations during the shot don't enthrall me. Maybe remove the pressure adjustment mechanism and inspect for some tired O-rings.

The shot is flowing kinda fast (again, the fresh coffee thing) so maybe adjust the grind a little finer. I like the idea of flowing through the single spout PF.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Want good coffee?

Start with good coffee!!
Scott
LMWDP #248

djmogovan (original poster)

#5: Post by djmogovan (original poster) »

since buying good coffee is a easy fix...consider it done

as for the pressure..

Do I just adjust the nut on the pump until that gauge goes from 15ish to 9 bars?

Or do i need a special gauge that fits on the portafilter?

Thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Do I just adjust the nut on the pump until that gauge goes from 15ish to 9 bars?
You should adjust and inspect the pump exactly as I wrote.

The pump should be fed with a filtered & regulated water supply at AROUND 2.5 bar or ~35 psi.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#7: Post by djmogovan (original poster) »

playing with that screw on the rotary pump, all the way in or out, it still didn't change the pressure.
....still 15 bars

what I've been adjusting is the screw on the outside of the U shaped metal pump.

any other ideas? :cry:

#8: Post by djmogovan (original poster) »

I think I may have solved my issue. This may help someone in the future.

I removed that entire bolt (assembly) off the side of the pump. Inside there is a metal piston that is supposed to move against the spring in there.

I persuaded it out, and lubricated with some cooking oil.

I was then able to adjust my pressure to around 9 bars!