Tips for a starter using a bottomless portafilter - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JimM

#31: Post by JimM »

Would be good to see how you're getting on Paul, I'm going to get one for my Classic as well.

innermusic

#32: Post by innermusic »

JonR10 wrote: The shot posted has serious issues with channeling both around and through the puck. It makes me wonder if the coffee is old in addition to needing a grind adjustment and perhaps some working on distribution. Have you tried the WDT?
Those were fresh beans, roasted a few days prior. I'm going to jusyt try for a finer grind. But I'm thinking there must be a problem with my tamping.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

JonR10

#33: Post by JonR10 replying to innermusic »

Maybe, but if you just tamp once straight down without twisting or tapping then that's probably not the issue. I do agree that the grind needs to be finer for sure.

Beans are always a key, so make sure you're using coffee that is known to be good for espresso (i.e. fresh roast from a respected artisan roaster)...otherwise it can be like a crapshoot.

Good luck
Jon
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

JimM

#34: Post by JimM »

Mine turned up this morning, already I'm seeing an improvement after the first shot, better crema, mouthfeel and taste.

Hope it continues!

JimM

#35: Post by JimM »

Is it ok to make doubles in the triple basket as it makes WDT easier, or should I fit the double basket?

innermusic

#36: Post by innermusic »

JonR10 wrote:Maybe, but if you just tamp once straight down without twisting or tapping then that's probably not the issue. I do agree that the grind needs to be finer for sure.

Beans are always a key, so make sure you're using coffee that is known to be good for espresso (i.e. fresh roast from a respected artisan roaster)...otherwise it can be like a crapshoot.
Thanks. The beans are from a good specialty shop. Nice blends. I guess I'm going have to try the WDT. (Sigh).
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

PaulN (original poster)

#37: Post by PaulN (original poster) »

James M wrote:Is it ok to make doubles in the triple basket as it makes WDT easier, or should I fit the double basket?
I found it harder to get a decent looking extraction with my double basket than i did from my triple. using around 16g of beans and aiming for 25 secs....

I do think i need lots more practice, and with a bean i know well.

Cheers

PaulN

cafeIKE

#38: Post by cafeIKE »

PaulN wrote:a decent looking extraction
Try putting away the BPF and pulling a decent tasting extraction. Most examples of 'good looking n00b' shots are sinkers.
innermusic wrote: Thanks. The beans are from a good specialty shop. Nice blends.
Says who? The specialty shop? Could be the most GA dreck. Try some Red Bird, Apollo, Black Hand, Toscana, Aficianado or other known, easy to pull bean.
I guess I'm going have to try the WDT. (Sigh).
You can't polish turds, only shellac them. WDT can't help crap coffee.

Use a known good coffee in its prime, dose accurately, distribute evenly and experiment.
IMO, if the money spent on gadgets were spent on good coffee used with less meaness, the success rate would skyrocket.

Alvin.A

#39: Post by Alvin.A »

Ian... decaf.

But he's absolutely right. Develop a simple effective technique with great reputable beans. Don't worry about how it looks, its all about the taste.

Maybe you have already, but check out the List of our favorite Roasters for good beans in the UK.

PaulN (original poster)

#40: Post by PaulN (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Try putting away the BPF and pulling a decent tasting extraction. Most examples of 'good looking n00b' shots are sinkers.
Im getting pretty decent shots with decent beans most of the time with both BFP and reg PF. But like anything you tend to take a few steps back when trying something new.

Its largely down to my distribution and tamp that the BPF shot isnt great but it still tastes fine. Im just trying to find the best tech that suites me.

But thanks for your input.

PaulN