Tamping and uneven flow from portafilter spouts

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Barb
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Barb »

Just got a replacement Vario-W grinder (first one died after 8 months so Baratza replaced)
Now, when I pull shots from my Silvia I find that flow starts a bit faster ( after 5 seconds,not 9 as with old grinder, same setting)

And,although water,when I flush runs equally well through both spouts of the portafilter, when I now pull my shots too often coffee comes out only of the right hand spout
I fill the portafilter with most,not all of a 17 gram weight of coffee, use my finger to fleck across so the coffee looks even.Tap the portafilter to further even out the coffee, tamp using the technique of extending my arm (bent elbow) and pushing down on the rim of the tamper, not pushing with the central handle, and then polishing the top with a twist of the tamper (heavy metal tamper). I think I have distributed correctly but somehow I may not be
Single spout pour is new issue.

What am I doing wrong- Any ideas?

Will appreciate

day

#2: Post by day »

Look up wdt and make sure the tamping surface and portafilter are truly level
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

BillRedding

#3: Post by BillRedding »

Barb,

PM sent to you...

As for this issue:

1. My espresso starts coming out of the portafilter at about 5-6 seconds and that seems to be MY consistent "benchmark" for me to go by...not only when I was using my Silvia but also now with my Vibiemme: 5-6 seconds. Of course, OTHER people here will have different times they see with their grinders/machines, but this is what I've noted with mine. And my espresso is taking the 27-30 seconds or so to fill the proper volume (whatever sized shot your pulling). So for me, it was 5-6 seconds, for you it was 9 seconds. That difference in time happens and doesn't mean there should be a set/exact # of seconds for us ALL to expect or else something's wrong.

2. Keep in mind that you can't depend AT ALL on the "same" (same brand and model) 2 grinders to produce the identical grind at the same # Macro and/or Micro setting...so you'll have to find your new "magic number" on your replacement Vario. Two grinders COULD be the very same # (Macro and/or Micro setting) but it's highly unlikely and would be a very atypical coincidence.

For example, Mazzer Minis come from the factory with a sticker on the grind-adjustment-collar that marks the # "the factory says" is what THEY found to be the best starting-point # for making espresso -- for THAT particular Mini. OTHER new Minis could have the very same # indicated but most likely it'll be a DIFFERENT # marked by said sticker.

For what's it's worth, my Mini's sticker was off a bit, but since we all know the grinder # setting depends on what beans/roast/age they are, the number will VARY...so there's no way the Mazzer factory grinder-tester could set the EXACT # since they had no way of knowing what beans were going to be used -- so I have no issue there that the sticker # was off. It's just a starting point and DOES save you a lot of dialing-in time (but it WAS fairly close).

In fact, most of the numbers on even the more expensive grinders won't relate to another grinder identical to it. So you just have find YOUR number (dial-in) for that particular grinder, in this case your "new" Vario.

Good luck,

-- BR

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

Barb,

More flow from one side of a dual spout than another has nothing to do with the grinder, tamping, or any other prep. It almost certainly caused by either the spout assembly being out of level, a bent spout, or a blockage in the spout.

If you take the basket out of the pf and remove the spout from the pf, you can see that the coffee flows from the basket into a narrow channel in the center of the basket; flows onto a "saddle" shaped peak on top of the spout assembly; and then is distributed by gravity to each spout. If the coffee flows on to the center of the saddle, everything is level, and nothing is blocked or "vapor locking," then the coffee will flow evenly out of each spout even if all the coffee is coming out of one side of the pf. That's an "is," not an opinion.

Poor leveling could result from a bent spout (particularly where it screws into the pf), one of the pf's lugs (aka the ears) being out of whack; the lug race (where the ears fit) inside the group; an irregular surface on the gasket; an improperly seated basket; or -- most likely -- the whole machine being out of level.

Disassemble your pf, clean it completely, check the lugs for damage, check the spout, replace the gasket if necessary (should do it at least once a year), and slap a level on your machine.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the unrelated topic of tamping and puck preparation
Diagnose your problem with a bottomless pf, if you can get your hands on one. Make sure to use your regular basket. If all the coffee is coming out of one side of the basket, it still has nothing to do with the way it comes out of the spouts.

If it is, it's most likely a phenomenon called "edge channeling." That comes from not establishing a good seal between the edge of the puck and the wall of the basket. Check distribution to make sure there are no voids near the basket walls, which can usually be resolved with a finger swipe. Level the puck's surface with an appropriately weighted and properly fitting tamper; if that doesn't resolve the problem, add "nutation" to your tamping ritual; and -- still no joy -- WDT. Tamping harder isn't the answer.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Barb (original poster) »

Hard to believe. Just got two of my best shots ever from my Silvia. Both spouts pouring

Fresh coffee roasted four days ago
Adjusted the grind. Not quite as fine
Did not overload the Portafilter
Did not over tamp (watched the barista at one of my favorite cafes and imitated)

Two yummy shots. Not bitter not sour.

So, back to topic
II think I was overloading the PF and I suspect my replacement Vario-W works differently than the one Baratza just replaced
I was choking poor Ms Silvia. Too much coffee too finely ground

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Barb (original poster) »

BTW THIS site is addicting. I find I am popping in at work, at home. I am in trouble now :)

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

Barb, great to see all is going well. Addicting???
U BETCHA!!!

FirstBetta

#8: Post by FirstBetta »

It's designed to be addicting, LOL!!!! Spend several hours a day at it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

IMAWriter

#9: Post by IMAWriter replying to FirstBetta »

The coffee, and ritual of making it is the REAL addiction for me. Fact is though I've learned, and continue to learn via this and other forums.
For instance, I did not know about how the spouts did their thing till reading BDL's posting. Live and learn.

Apologies for the semi-off topic.

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Barb (original poster) »

I have not kept track of the time I am spending on this site. Kinda afraid to do so :)
Learning lots and enjoying reading all the posts.

I think the site was down on Friday? I could not access and I experienced unpleasant withdrawal.
(Hope it was not my employer domain that was blocking access.)