Taming a rambunctious steam tip

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

My new Livia 90 is perfect.

But...of course...that means I want to make her just a tad more perfect, and the only thing I have noticed is that for the very small amount of milk that I want to microfoam her steam is a bit hot and fast and strong.

Can someone clue me in on the physics behind steam tips?
What would I look for to get a slightly more delicate steam production?
More holes? Less holes? Different configuration?

Advice is always appreciated.

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

How many holes and what size does the steam tip currently have ?
Unless it a really poor design , then id say stick with it and practice. You should be bale to do 4-5 oz of milk with a 4 hole tip on most machines if they have a decent designed tip and good technique...Its just about learning to get it all done in a shorter time than your used to , stretch a little less 1-2 seconds the swirl for the rest....

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

You have a couple options with the steam. First is turn down the boiler temperature. Second would be to replace the steam tip with one that has fewer holes. If you have a 4 hole tip get a 3 or 2 and try it out. That will slow down the speed of the steaming or practice more and stick with the stock tip.
Dave Stephens

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Susan,

You might also experiment with opening the valve only part way to reduce steam pressure, without modifying anything. Practice with water in the steam pitcher to get a sense of the flow. If you want to practice texturing this can be done with just the tiniest droplet of dish soap in the water.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks all.
A few more days into this and it is clear that there is no need to replace the tip.
It just goes so much faster than I am used to that I need to be more attentive from the get-go so I don't end up baking the milk.