Storing coffee for single dose? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
earlgrey_44

#11: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Those with the most experience with frozen beans recommend letting the container removed from the freezer defrost before using it. This makes sense of course, because the major issue is condensation - which potentially can harm the coffee.

I notice a number of posts where folks say they cheat when they have run out of coffee on the counter and need some right now. I myself have ground coffee right from the freezer when this has happened to me, and have not noticed any particular problems, though some say the coffee pulls differently.

The greater potential for harm comes from opening and closing a cold container repeatedly. There are enough crazy variables in espresso making to begin with. Why introduce another untested variable if you can avoid it?
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

entropyembrace

#12: Post by entropyembrace »

_bm wrote:I'm doing single dosing with beans straight out of the freezer. No worries about defrosting / refreezing...

Regards
BM
This is what I do. I used to defrost a jar of beans and keep them at room temperature after defrosting but I switched to just single dosing straight out of the freezer and keeping the coffee in the freezer. I have not seen any degradation by doing it this way and since I switched my coffee has improved because its much more consistent since the coffee doesn't age as I use it anymore. I can freeze at the peak and enjoy coffee at its best. :)

Advertisement
Spitz.me

#13: Post by Spitz.me replying to entropyembrace »

I've also done this for a while - grinding frozen beans. You just have to realize that they shatter more easily so there are more fines with frozen beans. You'll have to move the grinder a little to the coarse side for the same dose of beans at room temperature.

I also love doing this because I don't notice any major degradation in coffee while I'm enjoying it. I think it's the best way to basically capture the best stage of each bag's life.
LMWDP #670

earlgrey_44

#14: Post by earlgrey_44 »

It's good to remember that there is no shortage of coffee aficionados around who have "learned" somewhere, somehow, that all of us here on this thread are nuts. They "know" that freezing coffee is bad, and that Terrible Things happen when you do.

I'm delighted to read about these different practices here. Maybe this thread can turn into a helpful 12-step meeting: "Hi, I'm Gary, and I freeze my coffee." (chorus) "Hi Gary"

I am very appreciative of the great exercise that Jim and Ken did to see what freezing actually does to the cup experience. Without going back and re-reading, I 'm thinking that their expectation set going in was that they would be able to tell the difference in a blind tasting, but that it wouldn't be too big a deal. I think it was a little surprise that they couldn't tell in the actual tasting.

I've benefited a lot from this assurance, since I have no local roaster to conveniently access. I can buy economically 5 pounds of coffee from one of our favored roasters, break it down into three or four day packets, and, like some of you guys, enjoy the whole lot at its appropriate peak. It's a good thing.

I won't knock the experience of anybody who single doses from a freezer container. On the other hand, I wouldn't want any newbie to learn that they are doing something wrong if they don't single dose that way.

Do we know that we can't expect the same pull and taste using room temp coffee over the span of a few days? I don't think so. Go out a week to ten days - well that's a different story.

LaDan

#15: Post by LaDan »

1. Don't take it out of and into the fridge/freezer to take a single dose because it will create condensation on the beans.

2. Don't forget to spray or drizzle a few drops of water into your single dose beans before grinding to prevent static.

3. Enjoy your freshly made shot of uncondensated wet beans espresso.

Viva La Geek! ;)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

LaDan wrote:1. Don't take it out of and into the fridge/freezer to take a single dose because it will create condensation on the beans.

2. Don't forget to spray or drizzle a few drops of water into your single dose beans before grinding to prevent static.

So what's the difference between a little condensation on cold beans (which I personally haven't seen) & spraying or drizzling water on the dose? Ones bad but the other is ok??

I've had zero static issues with my K10 so no water goes in the dose. I do add a little to my syphon pot/pour over doses as the Bunn can produce some static.
LMWDP 267

earlgrey_44

#17: Post by earlgrey_44 »

LaDan wrote:
Enjoy your freshly made shot of uncondensated wet beans espresso.

Viva La Geek! ;)
:lol: Truly hilarious! I love it...

Advertisement
LaDan

#18: Post by LaDan »

JohnB. wrote:So what's the difference between a little condensation on cold beans (which I personally haven't seen) & spraying or drizzling water on the dose? Ones bad but the other is ok??
I agree with you. Lol. I was making a point, to put things in perspective. ;)
I've had zero static issues with my K10 so no water goes in the dose. I do add a little to my syphon pot/pour over doses as the Bunn can produce some static.
I wouldn't put water in a dose. The K10 doesn't have a static issues although some grounds cling to the front side of the 3 sweeping arms. (Can't think of the word now!). But they come out with a brush.

My Ditting has zero retention in coarse settings. 20g in, 20g out. I wouldn't want water on my $450 new burrs. Scary thought.
earlgrey_44 wrote::lol: Truly hilarious! I love it...
Lol. You got it. Haha!