Steaming soy milk?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
uRabbit

#1: Post by uRabbit »

We understand the basics of steaming soy milk. Verve has a wonderfully informative video on the matter. But what of soy milk? It must carry heat differently, I'm sure. So should you stop around 140°F rather than 150?

We have been pulling out at around 140, but it comes out watery down below.

Edit: Using Pacific Foods brand Select Soy. Most of the coffee shoppes around here use it, while others use the Barista Series.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgwolf »

Different brands of soy milk work very differently for steaming -- many don't work well at all and are very watery. One of the best I've found is Costco's house brand, but you need to buy a box of it. I've usually used the vanilla flavored one for my wife and it's actually not bad and you can get respectable microfoam out of it.

uRabbit (original poster)

#3: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

No CostCo membership. :roll:

We are using Pacific Foods Select Soy.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I've had good luck steaming the Silk Organic Soy Milk for my wife's lattes. Typically I cut the steam/heat sooner then I would for regular milk.
LMWDP 267

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I used to steam the Costco Kirkland brand Soy milk. It was my understanding that it was from Silk, so performance may be similar.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Eric

#6: Post by Eric »

Trader Joe's unsweetened soy milk works fine. I stretch more than I would with milk and get a uniform texture.
Eric

uRabbit (original poster)

#7: Post by uRabbit (original poster) replying to Eric »

Hmm. We get that milk every week for our other milk purposes (cereals, etc.). My wife said she has tried it, and like the consistency but not the flavour.

I tried my hand at steaming for the first time, and the Select Soy gave good foam (if you take into account that I totally failed at stretching it), and a great flavour. So we will continue trying this one, as it is cheaper than the TJ's. If it doesn't work out so well once we get it down, we'll keep searching.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I'm using Pacific Select Soy and find it tricky. A professional barista suggested that with this and with non-fat milk I not steam it as long as with other milk and make sure there's a good spinning motion. Occasionally I'm able to get the paint-like texture of microfoam needed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Burner0000

#9: Post by Burner0000 »

With a Silvia I cut the heat just as it hits 140'F.

I have used Organic, Vanilla, Strawberry from SoGood, SoNice & Naturel brands. They all taste great at 140'F. I do however heat to 160 if I am steeping tea for a latte with soy. Still good results.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

akiley

#10: Post by akiley »

I've been using Earth Balance soy milk from Whole Foods. It's the original version. It took a while to get used to how it froths. (lots of air needed) Now I can get it good almost every time. I've tried about 6 brands of soy milk and find this the tastiest. Here is a photo. Using QuickMill Andreja HX machine. ... Aaron